I need some advice on starting a band!

guitarskater17
guitarskater17
02/01/2005 1:49 am
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]If Anybody has any advice at all about starting a band pleaz tell me!!!![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS] Thankz!!![/FONT]
:D :)
# 1
Hamberg
Hamberg
02/01/2005 12:28 pm
Just find people to play with man. And get a drum machine in the mean time to practice up your skills of cohesion.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 2
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
02/01/2005 1:10 pm
you can do what i been tryin............post flyers around ur town sayin that ur interested in forming a band..what kinda of musicians ur lookin for what u play that kinda thing....its a start.
# 3
paradyme
paradyme
02/02/2005 2:49 am
What up man?

So a band I was in lost its drummer and bass player due to some differences in opinion on where things were going- one side wanted to do 60's freak out psychadelic music and the other wanted to get more involved with heavier R&B and groove oriented music.

My boy and I were left basically to get a new band together (anyone who's replaced a rhythm instrument will know how much this eats), and we found a drummer who was amazing, but most importantly a cool guy- my boy found him online and talked with him to see what he was doing and all that and we got together and jammed. It clicked and we started practicing as a 3 piece until we found a bass player.

To make an almost year-long story much shorter, the trick is networking- go to shows, talk to people at shows at music stores, online, whatever, get together and jam- you can usually tell right away who will work or not- we auditioned like 5 bass players and we were so-so on all of them. Most were decent, some were good, but none of them fit with us personally. Then this one cat showed up and just blew us all away- and we knew we had to get this kid in the band. The key was a lot of persistence and patience, and above all networking.

Getting out there and meeting other musicians is huge. It's one reason why even if I don't like a band or a style, I never talk negatively about other musicians- you never know who'll you'll play with or who you might be working in a band with, or who knows whom. But then again RI is a mad small place.

peace
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 4
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
02/02/2005 4:41 am
Everytime I start a band, it ends up being "born" at the music studio I work at. So if you can find a place that gives lessons, or like a music store just hang out with people there. Not the best advice, but yeah thats all i've got.

# 5
ake
ake
02/02/2005 5:16 am
Starting a band is hard mainly because if u start it u will be expected to be the leader thus maka most of the decisions. I personally hate this role. Im much more comfortable joining a band if I like the other members and if I make the cut(audition). Try finding a partner you like to play with and before you know it other people will be asking to jam with You. Be careful though because some very good musicians are also ripoff artists and all your gear may disappear. This is the voice of experience talking. The main thing is to have fun with the music and don't take yourself to seriously.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.