Poll: I'd like EVERYBODY to respond to this if possible

Bofatron
Bofatron
03/30/2001 7:51 am
Yes or no, did Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing/records/ whatever inspire you to run back to the woodshed?

# 1
maser
maser
03/30/2001 8:57 am
Nope, he shows amazing technical prowess. I've seen him live and seeing him again in Tokyo this July, and I do spend most of the show scraping my jaw up off the ground. I don't aspire to be like him though.
Mai Zure - So overdriven, he sh*ts distortion
# 2
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/30/2001 9:47 am
nope...
yngwie won't do it , if you are blackmore's fan for a long time...
i dont like the idea of a musician that ripping deep purple songs on his albums, though he probably has a better technique than blackmore
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/30/2001 5:52 pm
Again, no.
Though after seeing Bill Dickens I couldn't even look at my basses for about two days. After that I was back to my usual routine.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/30/2001 6:24 pm

Yngwie? Bah. I don't think so. While he is an incredible guitarist, I just don't aspire to that kind of music.

The only player that has sent me running to the woodshed screaming "how the heck did he do that?!" is Vai.
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/30/2001 8:29 pm
Yeah The Reaper had me in bits when I first heard. Vai is a bleedin madman.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 6
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/31/2001 2:08 am
None of those guys have ever done it to me, partly because I have never been much interested in that music, and also because I know I would never be able to do what they are doing. For me, it is Hendrix, after hearing anything of his, I just pick up my guitar and spend hours trying to get his stuff down.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 7
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
03/31/2001 4:24 am
Originally posted by Bardsley
I know I would never be able to do what they are doing.

For God's sake don't ever say that again. It really makes me mad to hear people say crap like that. I even used to say that and now I think of how idiodic it sounded. Let me take you back in time for a second. Six years ago and still going through puberty I was jammin' at my buds house and listening to "Kill 'Em All". I remember hearing Kirk solo and saying, "Wow! That guy plays so fast, I'll never be able to do that,". Yep, that's right. I used to think Kirk Hammet was a god. Anyway, just know that these musicians are not more talented than anyone else. Everyone has something to offer that no one else has. Being an individual is a lot more important than hoping you can play like someone else anyway. By the way Bof... CRAZY a$$ guitar playing man! Real nice.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 8
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
03/31/2001 4:29 am
Whoops! Almost forgot about the original question at hand. No, I don't really like Yngwie all that much. Personally I'd much rather listen to a violin if he's going to use the guitar like one.

[Edited by BadHorsie on 03-30-2001 at 11:33 PM]
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/31/2001 4:31 am
I think you just hit the nail on the head. Sure, we all have our idols, and we all are probably our harshest critcs, but we all have something to offer. We all put things together in a way that nobody else will, and I have faith that some day people will be listening to some of us saying "my god, I'll never be that good..."
The cycle repeats folks, that's just the way it works.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 10
aeroslash
aeroslash
03/31/2001 4:32 am
Yes! I am the first to admit it!
He has and still does inspire greatly, even though its not extremely difficult stuff, he just always has something new up his sleeves!

He is very talented!
# 11
Bofatron
Bofatron
03/31/2001 9:52 pm
Originally posted by BadHorsie
Originally posted by Bardsley
I know I would never be able to do what they are doing.

For God's sake don't ever say that again. It really makes me mad to hear people say crap like that. I even used to say that and now I think of how idiodic it sounded. Let me take you back in time for a second. Six years ago and still going through puberty I was jammin' at my buds house and listening to "Kill 'Em All". I remember hearing Kirk solo and saying, "Wow! That guy plays so fast, I'll never be able to do that,". Yep, that's right. I used to think Kirk Hammet was a god. Anyway, just know that these musicians are not more talented than anyone else. Everyone has something to offer that no one else has. Being an individual is a lot more important than hoping you can play like someone else anyway. By the way Bof... CRAZY a$$ guitar playing man! Real nice.

BadHorsie, nice post man. I know. The great ones (whoever that might be) set goals for us not obstacles. Excellent observation. And I'm glad to see you got the disk. I wondered. Thanks for the compliment.

Stay Frosty

http://ShredLikeHell.com
# 12
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/02/2001 8:09 pm
I love Yngwie, and you peolpe can't say you don't want to play like him. I'd rather play like Hendrix, Page, Slash, or Angus Young, But I wouldn't mind being able to play like Yngwie. Yngwie rocks.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 13
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/03/2001 3:55 am

If I could turn a nob or push a button on my guitar and be able to play Yngwie style just like that, then I might do it from time to time. But I'm not going to practice my ass off trying to learn to play like him.

Yeah, I think I can say that I don't want to play like Yngwie. I wouldn't mind it, but I'm not gunna go out of my way to learn, because in the end it's all just the same harmonic minor scale-running anyway.

# 14
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/03/2001 6:31 am
i think yngwie is all that and a fish sandwich, but i don't think i'd like to play like him, if i could i would only use it like every now and then just to show people i can play like that. But i'd rather sound like clapton or vai, not actually mimicing them, but if i could steal someone's talent and put in a ball and use it at my own dicresion it would be those to guys.
"Take my hand boss"
# 15
EdmaD
EdmaD
04/03/2001 9:56 am
I think Yngwie is a good guitar player. There are a lot people that can play like him but his music is a good inspiration.

# 16
Brian Black
Brian Black
04/03/2001 2:17 pm
I haven't listened to that much of his stuff, but he seems more technical than I like. His music isn't as emotional as someone like Clapton. But no doubt about it, the guy can play. It is a very difficult style, but one I'd rather listen to than feebly attempt to play.
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/03/2001 8:00 pm
'sorry, old son, he didn't impress me for more than the first half hour of the show. After the novelty wears off, it becomes same-old-same-old.

I don't care how many notes can be played in a bar of music.

I don't care how many sounds you can get out of your kit.

Play me some music... something that stirs my soul... something that expresses human emotion, and tells me a story.

Malmsteen leaves me numb and bored. He's one of the people that comes to mind when I mention that some guitarists developed Steve Vai's speed, but didn't learn his sense of melody.

Some people call this condition "playing too technically". What I call it, gets turned into **** on this website.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
Willdridge
Willdridge
04/05/2001 6:25 am
I'd love to be able to have the technical ability Yngwie holds, but I wouldn't like to play his music or like him. Possesing the techniques as executing them as well as he does is an art in itself, but it's not why I continue to pick up the guitar.
So, inspired? Perhaps - only to be a good a technician. Moved? Not a chance - on a emotional level his music lacks something and its that special something that I think most of use want to give through our music.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 19
bluesman36
bluesman36
04/09/2001 12:15 am
The only time I saw Malmsteen it was his 1st tour of the states,small clubs. It was at the Nectarene Ballroom in Ann Arbor Mi. His backup band was a group called Talas and their bassist, an unknown at the time,named Billy Sheehan
stole the show. That was inspiring. I like Blackmore over Malmsteen.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.