Songwriter/shredder?

Joseph
Joseph
03/28/2001 10:54 pm
As of now, are you more of a "songwriter" or a "shredder?"

When you first start out, whatever your motivation is, that definitely plays a great role in where you'll probably be going as a musician. Because during the first few years, its all about maintaining your enthusiasm, and to be honest I never thought I would be anything more that a rhythm guitarist "focusing primarily on the songwriting process", verse chorus verse. But as the years progress they're are so many endless possibilities with this instrument, and being that you don't wan't to rely on anyone but yourself in adding that extra flavor to their stuff, you just can't help exploring the endless possibilities of this instrument.

Its safe to say that I can shred with the best of em, but I guess I'm a songwriter at heart... But at this point, what stage are you at, and what inspires you to be your best?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Vulgar Display of Jeff
Vulgar Display of Jeff
03/29/2001 1:44 am
Same here. I never in a million years thought I'd ever play a lead when I first picked up a guitar. Even after the first few years, I refused to venture into that realm. I was happy just being a rhythm guitarist. Over the past 4 years, I've been pushed into the capacity of a lead guitarist more out of necessity than because I wanted to (i.e. "You've been playing guitar longer than he has, so you're the lead guitarist") I don't enjoy it as much as being able to just write riffs and I am by no means a shredder. But I think I've handled the duties well.
I'd like to think that I have a knack for writing melodic riffs and hooks that have a good edge to them and I pride myself on that. That has become my primary function in the band I'm with now along with having lead guitar duties thrust upon me and I'm quite happy with being the primary songwriter.
What inspires me to be my best? Hearing people applaud and cheer after we play a song I've written or have had a hand in writing is inspiration enough to continue on.
# 2
Bofatron
Bofatron
03/29/2001 6:26 am
good thread. while I can shred quite insanely, I actually play in a pop/rock/roots band in which I hardly ever "shred" but I do write a lot of the material. I really enjoy writing catchy songs. But when left up to my own devices I like to just race around like an idiot on the guitar so I get to satisfy both urges I guess. Solo self indulgence and as a band member that seeks a large audience.

http://ShredLikeHell.com
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
03/29/2001 6:31 pm
This is a particular style that alot of famous players tend to ignore, but it really does help add just enough fluidity to your style, especially in a pinch. If theres one thing about the guitar, Ive never wanted to feel limited with my abilities, I've always tried my best to explore my many options over the past several years, alot of us just stick to one particular style because its comfortable, but I'm never quite satisfied, and I don't think that any serious music ever is. Because its that driving force of dissatisfaction that really helps motivate you and push you to the next level.

When everything balances out, I'm definitely a song writer at heart, but without all of those vigorous lesson plans over the past years, I don't think that I would have just enough confidence to be myself.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.