progress

IbanezRox
IbanezRox
03/27/2001 5:37 am
I was wondering what is the regular(normal)progress report for experience i.e. what could you do after 3months, 6mths etc. I have been playing for 3 mths and was curious how I am doing ROCk On Folks!
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/27/2001 9:59 am
To be honest, I can't really remember, and anyway, I didn't have a teacher at first so my learning was pretty unfocussed.
However, I don't think it is necessarily good to know how others were doing, everyone progresses at a different rate, and if someone tells you something that is way beyond you, you might get disheartened, though in reality if you hadn't heard it you could progress at a good rate and still "catch up".
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
03/27/2001 9:02 pm
Yeah there's really no such thing as "good progress." As long as you're dedicated, you'll advance.
# 3
Bofatron
Bofatron
03/27/2001 9:26 pm
learning in non-linear so you often will not see "progress" in the sense of day to day or week to week...just gotta keep bangin' away and you'll notice leaps every now and then. One day you wake up and you get it ;-)

http://ShredLikeHell.com
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/28/2001 1:06 am

Bofatron is right. Learning and improvement seem to take place in spurts, if you will. You might go for a long time just playing the same stuff, with your playing skills being on a plateau, and then all of a sudden, when you're starting to get sick of it, you'll get a lot better in the space of a week or two.

But anyway, I think after three months I was learning barre chords, playing some simple songs, and doing some improvisation with pentatonics. Of course, this will vary depending on how much you practice, what kind of a teacher you have, and how dedicated you are.
# 5
Vulgar Display of Jeff
Vulgar Display of Jeff
03/28/2001 9:39 pm
Make a tape of yourself practicing one day and put it in a shoe box. Wait a year and then listen to it. You'll definitely hear progress then. I've done that once a year for the past 7 years and find myself laughing hysterically when I hear the previous year's tape and realize how much I sucked the year before and how much better I am now.
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
03/29/2001 6:01 am
Its very true, because as the years progress sometimes we get lost along the way, and we are constantly asking ourselves if our playing has improved much, its safe to say that we all need an ego boost every now and then. If it helps, keep a chart of scales, chords etc, and see how much you can accomplish by the weeks end, and put a little star by the lessons that you feel comfortable with.

As long as you constantly have that will to learn new and exciting tricks, you can't go wrong. The first couple of months that i held his instrument in my hands, I did everything I could to master the basic open chords as well as power chords because I felt the need to get started on songwriting right away.
Despite how much knowledge you lack from the beginning, its important to try and develop your own style...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7
IbanezRox
IbanezRox
03/30/2001 6:00 am
Thanks for the advice dudes!

# 8
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
04/06/2001 10:13 am
In the beginning I played guitar I didn't want to play covers. Playing in a band I've learned covers, especially the solo's. Now I use the knowledge in our own material. So the study of the covers improved my technique.
When I started playing there was no internet and the collection of study material was difficult, also there was no money for lessons. Now with all the material on internet I have began a second youth. Nowadays I play 2-3 hours aday.
Allways finding something new. There are scaduals for practicing, I read in a magazine an article about it.(If anyone is interested i can post it). It really made sense, only the time besides work and family is the breaking point.Sometimes you just want to play.

I'm still going faster,
Is there a limitation with speed ? When I think I'm going fast i hear someone who's going faster. Has age something to do with it?

# 9
SRVLIVES
SRVLIVES
04/06/2001 11:02 am
Hey Martin, could you post it, could you please, I promise I'll leave my beat up Yamaha acoustic to you in my will!

Shane
# 10
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
04/06/2001 5:07 pm
I found the article, there's a lot of information in it.
It will take me some time to take it over but it will come.
Before easter i think. I say practice a little in between.
I have to go now, practicing with the band, by

Martin
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.