Heaviest sounding pickups

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/20/2005 6:29 am
I'm really looking for a death metally sound, I was looking at gibson pickups, a 490r for the neck and 500t for bridge, these pickups come stock on such guitars as the gibson sg voodoo, gibson les paul voodoo, and epiphone gothic explorer... I heard a sample on the internet of a gothic explorer being played, it sounded good but it had effects on it so it was hard to tell if it was just a really good amp he was using or the distortion effects had something to do with it, or if it did have a lot to do with pickups... my question to you guys is, in your past experiences do you think pickups can have a noticeable effect on your sound, and also which do you think are the heaviest sounding pickups out there?
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/20/2005 6:37 am
one of these three....EMG-81,Duncan LiveWire or the Dimarzio N2X(or whatever...)
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/20/2005 4:12 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartone of these three....EMG-81,Duncan LiveWire or the Dimarzio N2X(or whatever...)
[font=trebuchet ms]That's X2N.

Actually, your best bet is to let your amp do the talkin'. You can get a single-coil Tele to sound massive if you have the right rig. Really high output pickups are tone-suckers.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/20/2005 5:05 pm
Ditto. I've had the X2N recommended to me on here before, but it might not be what you're looking for.

What kind of guitar do you play? I've heard that on mahogany guitars the X2N loses some of its finer qualites, and in that case something like the Duncan Pearly Gates would be the more practical.

Just about any pickup from Duncan or DiMarzio will rock through a good amp. Good as in probably not solid state. I'm torn between the two so I can't tell which one you'll like more. Either way you should definitely look for a pickup that will give you good tone instead of simple looking for the hottest pickup on the market.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/20/2005 8:36 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiWhat kind of guitar do you play? I've heard that on mahogany guitars the X2N loses some of its finer qualites, and in that case something like the Duncan Pearly Gates would be the more practical.

I have an Ibanez GRX40, it's body is alder. this guitar is set up s/s/h though and is a really cheep guitar, replacing the pickups would cost as much as the whole guitar. I would get a new guitar (probably some kind of gibson sg) before getting new pickups. but I wanted to know if it really would be worth it. you pretty much answered my question though, yeah I do want a nice amp, I got a $50 10-watt practice amp. (lol) but being 15 and unemployed it's really all I can afford. for a few months anyway, I have an opportunity to graduate high school early if I pass this test I'm taking in march. then I can get a part time job and pay for all this stuff that is on my wishlist! :D
my spyspace
# 5
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/20/2005 10:34 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI have an Ibanez GRX40, it's body is alder. this guitar is set up s/s/h though and is a really cheep guitar, replacing the pickups would cost as much as the whole guitar. I would get a new guitar (probably some kind of gibson sg) before getting new pickups. but I wanted to know if it really would be worth it. you pretty much answered my question though, yeah I do want a nice amp, I got a $50 10-watt practice amp. (lol) but being 15 and unemployed it's really all I can afford. for a few months anyway, I have an opportunity to graduate high school early if I pass this test I'm taking in march. then I can get a part time job and pay for all this stuff that is on my wishlist! :D

yea dude, I think if your are really serious, you should clean your rigg. First forget an SG, they are too expensive and are not that heavy (just look heavy). Get a Schecter Omen 6. The Schecter has Diamond pickups so they will give virtually no feedback so you wont need to change it Its a 300 doller guitar that is more heavy than most >600$ Jacksons. Dont worry its a very good guitar. Also, if you can get a Line 6 Spider II 15 watt amp for 150 dollers. That amp is incredible with sooo many features from clean to insane, with 7 built in effects. Its a best selling amp. So for 450 dollers, you could have yourself a really badass setup with TONNNNNNSS of distortion.

take it from me, a fellow 15 year old...lol
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/20/2005 10:56 pm
well the guitar I was pretty undecided on, I'll definately check out Schector, but as for an amp, if I'm gonna blow some money into a new amp I'm gonna go all out. 15 watts isn't going to cut it for me. I have a multi-effects pedal with all the effects of that amp you told me about. I wanna go full blown marshall tube amp. yeah that should be good as soon as I can afford it.
my spyspace
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/21/2005 8:43 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941First forget an SG, they are too expensive and are not that heavy (just look heavy).

funny because just tonight I was playing and someone asked me if I liked the long neck of my ibanez. I said yeah cause I do. and he told me I would like an sg. and he didn't even know I was considering one. hee hee. and from what I've heard.. you get what you pair for. that's why I wanna spend the big bucks. but the problem is I need to have the big bucks before I can spend them :(
my spyspace
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/21/2005 9:48 am
What SG are you looking into?

I had a viper 301 ltd and that was really good.Ive played the deluxe and ESP standard vipers as well...

If you save some money,I would say go for the ESP standard Viper rather than an Gibson SG.You will get good hardware,sound(if you like EMG-81's,but who dosn't?)and better build quality(based on what ive played and heard)...plus it looks cooler.
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/21/2005 10:10 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartWhat SG are you looking into?

Well it's still unofficial and I wouldn't be able to afford one for at least 3 months. but I was looking at the Gibson Faded series. mainly because they are a little cheaper then either a voodoo or a standard series. I need to get a few replies in my topic 'wood' posted under the gear forum before I can really make a decision.
my spyspace
# 10
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
01/21/2005 7:10 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsfunny because just tonight I was playing and someone asked me if I liked the long neck of my ibanez. I said yeah cause I do. and he told me I would like an sg. and he didn't even know I was considering one.

Long neck as in long scale? Gibson's use a short scale neck.....The neck on an SG is shorter than an Ibanez neck (unless the Ibanez has a short scale neck). Also, SG's have wide, fat necks.....a HUGE difference in feel when compared to an Ibanez.

I've got an SG Gothic, and I love it....The pickups are not near as hot as the pup's in my Music Man EVH, but the SG has a much heavier tone. A hotter pickup doesn't mean a heavier tone.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 11
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/21/2005 10:49 pm
get a load of this

The coolest V ever made by Dave Mustaine

__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.