Your emotions, how they work to your advantage....

Joseph
Joseph
03/24/2001 1:44 am
How do you guys mentally prepare yourself for some of your best practice sessions, or recoding sessions? Also, does your best stuff usually come out when you're happy or pissed off at the world.

Of course sometimes happiness and even out most tumultuous situations can work to our advantage during the process of songwriting, because alot of the times our anger can be channeled into something good, and also when we are disgustingly happy that works too.

I guess being that I was goung out with this girl for over three years, I just couldn't help gaining a few of her traits here and there,:rolleyes: especially meditation I must remain very calm for a few hours before a recording session, otherwise I just end up screwing up, where the ideas inside my head just won't come to the surface. No, I'm not some astrological moron, but meditation really does help, and I think if everyone did it, we would all feel much more accomplished as human beings...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/24/2001 2:25 am
Most of the time, I'm more creative when I'm really mad. I'll throw together some barre chords, and just run with it. Start singing lyrics off the top of my head. Right it down. Then when I've cooled off, come up with a lead to it. And before practice, there's nothing I really do, except before I practice I wash my hands. I got that from Tom Morello. It was one of his tips. Sorda like a ritual thing for me now. I guese.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 2
Mr. Vai
Mr. Vai
03/24/2001 2:35 am
I play most of my good stuff when im really pissed off, thats when i hit the notes really hard and louder and faster then ever

I wish i was mad right now :-)
My guitar is like an umbillical cord, its wired into my head.
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
03/24/2001 3:17 am
Originally posted by Fender Man
I got that from Tom Morello. It was one of his tips. Sorda like a ritual thing for me now. I guese. [/B]

Tom Morello is a great musician because he relys on his impulses, which alot of musicians are afraid to do. When relying on our impulses its always a gamble, because there are always alot of people who aren't willing to accept your new found vision, but when it all comes down to it, its all about what we like and what pushes us to the next level of creativity, (as well as increasing our enthusiasm.) Tom Morello is a closet tapping master, this guy is amazing live on stage, hes more educated with the guitar than most people realize, hes very well practiced.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/24/2001 10:13 pm
I play blue most and Ive written a couple of tunes but you dont have to be sad, its moreso pissed off but you can write just how your feelin at the time.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/25/2001 7:24 am
I think it is easier to write some things when you are pissed off, but that just makes me feel like I should try writing stuff when I am happy, writing about happiness, it's too easy someitmes to tell everyone how pissed you are, it doesn't seem as easy to tell someone how good everything is.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/26/2001 3:22 am
My best work has always come from when I'm exceptionally depressed, angry, or I'm in a really reflective mood. I think it has more to do with the amplitude of the emotion than the emotion itself. I'm just am never as happy as I often am depressed. Most of the work I've done that I think the most of comes from they days when I was still in high school, and the kids around me would put me in the mood where if I didn't get to bass, guitar, and/or pen and paper somebody was gonna get it. Otherwise I'll get an idea for a lyric (maybe just a line or a verse), and I'll have to write that down, and later another idea pops into my head and that gets jotted down, and eventually I peice all of these little ideas together to form a song. Same thing musicly speaking, if I don't have that deep emotion to express, I'll come up with little bits and peices, where as when I do have that emotion I'm apt to sit down and write a whole song, lyrics music and all on the spot.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
cowman
cowman
04/04/2001 5:03 am
I really can compose many more things when I'm angry, sad, pissed, etc., but the problem is that when I relax and calm down and try to listen to it, I just feel it's just crap. Many people have told me that some of those songs sound good, but I don't like to play 'em because of where they came from, anger. Think I only use those kind of compositions to throw away my bad feelings....
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Voxman.jpg
# 8
Joseph
Joseph
04/04/2001 8:19 pm
Originally posted by cowman
Many people have told me that some of those songs sound good, but I don't like to play 'em because of where they came from, anger. Think I only use those kind of compositions to throw away my bad feelings.... [/B]

Of course you can't rely on how others feel, you have to learn to let your feelings out rule the rest, (because in the end your personal satisfaction is all that matters.Ive gotten into the habit of recording several different guitar riffs like a mad man, and then just setting them aside for weeks, Because for the first few days of our writings, we are very judgmental, but if you just give yourself a little bit of time you'll begin to start focusing on the positive aspects your compositions. Being that you'll have a better idea of whats crap and whats not.

Throughout the day, there are so many things that happen that force us to loose out train our thoughts, where we draw a blank at home with our guitar in hand. Although its safe to say that long drives tend to help us relax, I like to take long walks, it helps stimulate my mind, amd takes away some of your anxieties, so you'll just be able to concentrate on the music thats in your head.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 9
Blues Legend
Blues Legend
04/05/2001 5:13 pm
I think what everyone who has posted is trying to say is that.......you will write or come up with your best music when its not forced.......Its not just being angry or happy or whatever, its the fact that you incorporate the sentiments into the music, and that its noticable.... As long as the emotions are not forced then the piece will be better...
I guess what I'm trying to say is that Emotions work to your advantage only when they are REAL!
...:::Josh:::...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.