Beginners question about effects

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/15/2004 1:55 am
I'm pretty much still a newie to guitar (playing since august) and I have an electric guitar and a very small amp that has overdrive. anyway my question is about effects. I asked my parental units for this multi-effects thing for x-mas. my question is what is essential for effects, what I mean is do you need like an amp modeling thing, and does this multi effects thing (Zoom GFX5) actually have effects or is it just an instrument through which you plug other effects into. I'm positive I just made myself look retarded but could someone explain the process of adding effects into your playing.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/15/2004 4:58 am
To repeat: "Stuff Zoom". That is, do not buy anything that has the brand name "Zoom" on it. There is a reason that Zoom products are so cheap.

Instead, check out the Boss GT series (GT-3, GT-5 & GT-6), the Boss ME series (ME-50 is really nice, and affordable), Yamaha DG Stomp, Digitech RP series, or the POD.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Pony up a hundred or so extra bucks and get something that you won't bin after 2 months.

The difference between amp modellers and multi-effects are apparent from their names. An amp modeller is a unit that mimics famous amps (e.g. Mesa Boogie, Marshall, Fender Blackface, Peavey 5150, etc.). A multi-effects unit is a box that can produce several different guitar effects (e.g. distortion, delay, chorus, flanger, wah, tremolo, etc.). Personally, I don't see much use to amp modellers, but that's just me. Some other people couldn't give two hoots about flanger, but they need to have that ol' Silverface sound.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/15/2004 6:58 pm
If you can throw $400 for a pedal board , get the Boss GT-6 ... If not , any cheap unit will make you learn about what effects you need and don't need , in other words , put you on the road , so that you'll know where your money goes right next time ... Paying a 100 bucks to put yourself on the road isn't a waste of money IMHO.

A nice and cheap unit would be Digitech rp-100 or something similar ... If someone at the store tried to sell you a Zoom , instantly "stuff it" in his/her hole!
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/15/2004 9:15 pm
well it being this close to christmas my parents have prbably already bought the zoom. but that's okay I'm a rich california white boy so if in a few months I decide I need to upgrade, I can. thanks for all your advice and tips guys it helped alot.
my spyspace
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
12/15/2004 9:36 pm
Even the Zoom should teach you a lot about effects and how to tweak some of their parameters , and eventually you'll throw it away for the sake of good quality tone.

Happy playing, dude. :)
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/15/2004 9:39 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrswell it being this close to christmas my parents have prbably already bought the zoom. but that's okay I'm a rich california white boy so if in a few months I decide I need to upgrade, I can. thanks for all your advice and tips guys it helped alot.

And that's why they invented "gift receipts".
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/28/2004 12:30 am
I ended up getting a korg ax10g which has 11 amp models, 11 modulation effects, and 11 ambience effects, no distortion though, but some of the amp models are pretty heavy and combined with chorus gives me a heavy metal sound that I'm looking for.
my spyspace
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.