Better Sustain and Tone?? What can I do?

Sandman
Sandman
03/14/2001 3:51 am
Can someone help me better understand what is involved in getting more sustain. Is it just a combination of the amp, settings, guitar, pickups, strings, everything? The reason I ask is that I dont have the greatest setup in the world but I think that it should be performing better than it is. I have an Epiphone SG Special with 2 humbuckers, and an Epiphone 10 watt amp. No matter what I have the amp set at I cant sustain a note for longer than about 5 seconds, especially on the higher stings. I have GHS Boomer strings. I did lower the action on my guitar about a month ago and that helped alot in giving me more sustain, getting the strings closer to the pickups I guess? Even anybody can give me some tips on how to increase the sustain and tone on my guitar I would really appreciate it.
# 1

03/14/2001 4:44 pm
You lowered the action and got better sustain? That's odd, usually it's the other way around (less sustain, more playability). Well you could always consider getting a box. The Ibanez tubescreamer is great for adding nearly infinite sustain but not changing your tone. Other then that I'd just suggest cranking up that amp to its full potential. I don't know much about epiphone amps so I can't comment on the kind of sustain they give.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/15/2001 1:03 am
Musician's Friend sells these brass or steel blocks that clamp onto your headstock that should help a bit. A box is a good place to start though. You may also check out an e-bow, but that won't help you out much in your normal day to day playing (unless you're into the smashing pumpkins).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

03/15/2001 1:23 am
Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about Ras... Fat Fingers... basically things you clamp onto the headstock to add more mass thus more sustain. Never tried them by they sound cool.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.