How do u order pedals...

the fool
the fool
11/10/2004 3:55 pm
What's the rule of thumb for odering stomp boxes? I just made a pedal board and I am having difficulty ordering the following effects. Can you guys help me out how to order them?

V Stack BHM (treble booster)
DOD FX 69 Grunge
Dan Electro DC- 1 Cool Cat Chorus
BOSS AW- 3 Dynamic Wah
BOSS DD- 6 Delay
BOSS BF- 2 Flanger
BOSS AC- 2 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS HR- 2 Harmonist
BOSS BD- 2 Blues Driver
BOSS CS- 3 Compression/ Sustainer
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/10/2004 4:54 pm
there are no stead fast rules as if you are getting the sound you want then...job done !

However here are some pointers.

Reverbs after distortion.

delay at the end of the chain.

Compressors at the beginning after wha (right at the front, before distortion, if thats the sound you like)

modulation (flange, chorus, delay) near the end

there is an article about this on the Boss web site

Mine goes:
wah, compressor, pitch shifter, tremolo, chorus, distortion, phase, flange, delay. verb, amp
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/10/2004 4:57 pm
It depends on personal preferences .... Personally , I'd have the wah and the harmonist first thing after the guitar.

To limit yourself from trying all possible combination (although you should try if you have time and mood) , think of the effect order as pre distortion or post distortion ... Usualy the effect dramatically changes only when changing the position with respect to the distortion.
# 3
the fool
the fool
11/10/2004 5:23 pm
No wonder why my treble booster sounded so weak, I put it in the end of the chain! Any ideas where I can place the treble booster in the chain?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 4
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/10/2004 6:38 pm
Try it the first thing right after the guitar , or may be after the wah.

Sometimes I like to have the volume thing the first thing right after the guitar ... It gives the effect of playing with the volume knob , which means less distortion at low setting instead of just lower master volume with the same amount of distortion if you put it at the end.
Putting a pedal earlier in the chain makes it's effect more global and stronger.
# 5
rob b.
rob b.
11/11/2004 3:31 pm
My old set up was:
Guitar
Tuner (Boss TU-2)
Volume (Ernie Ball)
Wah (Morley Classic WahII)
Chorus (Boss CH-1)
Phase 90 (MXR (awesome pedal))
Flanger (Boss BF-3)
Delay (Boss DD-3)
Noise Suppresor (Boss NS-2(eliminates alot of unwanted feedback))
Amp

Recently I changed again, so now it's:
Guitar - Tuner - Chorus - Flanger - Delay - Amp

But... with the purchase of my new baby on Tuesday, I'll be switching it up again:
EB MM Axis - Tuner - Wah - Chorus - Phase 90 - Amp

and eventually I'll buy another EQ (Boss GE-7) and throw that in right after the Tuner like I had it! I noticed I don't use the Flanger and the Delay enough to leave them on my board... although, I'm also considering selling all of them and getting the new Line 6 Podxt Live!
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
11/11/2004 5:57 pm
The Axis is awesome Rob b.

Put the time based effects (delay's, chorus, etc...) and near the end of the line through the effects loop. Also EQ pedals seem to work better through the loop. Put distortion boxes, wah's, flangers in line between the guitar and amp. It really is personal preference since different placements will get different sounds, but this system above has worked for me, at least until I got my Pod Pro.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
rob b.
rob b.
11/11/2004 7:03 pm
The Axis is awesome JFrick... I played that thing until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore, last night... And even then I still didn't want to put it down... It did make me late to work today, though!!! But we loved every minute of it last night!!!! hahaha :D :D :D

Still grinning ear to ear!
"It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself." ~ J.S. Bach
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.