tools

dlaxer6
dlaxer6
11/01/2004 10:44 pm
I'm starting to make guitars, ive already completed one, and im working on another.. im wondering about some tools that will.. help me with the building
so far.. i have a router.. and its been a bunch of fun cutting out the guitar bodies with my router.. woo.. i also have a rotary sander.. and a drill.. sweetsetup huh?
so.. what do you guys think i need?
drillpress? ive needed one for a string through body, and ive also seen those little barrels wrapped with sandpaper, and that looks like itd help a tonnn

Jigsaw or bandsaw?
i need one or the other, im just looking for versitilty.. so far it looks like the bandsaw would be much more helpful than a jigsaw

ill also need all those little nitty gritty tools like for fretboards.. ive had to use other necks because i dont have any fretting tools.. are there any cheap alternatives instead of those overpriced stewmac things?
RR
JB
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
11/01/2004 11:10 pm
this is somewhat offtopic...but do you just make guitars for yourself or do you sell them too or what?

j/w.

and how good have your other guitars turned out?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
11/02/2004 1:56 pm
I'd say a band saw and a drill press would be good investments, fretting tools for the most part you can make/modify yourself, although those Stew-Mac radius blocks would come in handy for shaping a fretboard, oldest advice in the world concerning tools, " Don't buy them before you need them, but when you need them buy quality tools and you won't need to buy them again"....................................
# 3
dlaxer6
dlaxer6
11/02/2004 8:17 pm
haha.. i make them for myself.. they havent been that great quality due to my lack of resorces.. Ive been seeing if i could build a guitar, and if i liked it.. you know.. just testin it out.. i loved making the first one.. its a strat copy it turned out pretty nice.. but i spent like a week sanding it..
pstring thanks for the advice.. and thats a nice little quote lol.. but thats the thing.. cutting bodies out with routers is just to much fun for me so ill check out some bandsaws and drillpresses
RR
JB
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.