question: putting bass strings on a guitar

Cahtz
Cahtz
03/05/2001 10:16 pm
whats the best way to do this? I'm guessing I'll need to file down the bridge so they'll fit, and probably modify the strings so I can string it. has anyone ever tried this with a floyd rose before?

somebody help me :(
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
03/06/2001 1:09 am
Have you thought about buying a BASS guitar?

Why would you want to put bass strings on a guitar?
# 2
howie50
howie50
03/06/2001 7:48 pm
Seems like a real shame to turn a guitar into a bass, why not try to swap it for a bass ? It should be a crime to ruin a good guitar! If you do it though, please tell us if it worked and how it sounded.
It takes 3 chords, 2 fingers and one asshole to play rock'n'roll
# 3
Cahtz
Cahtz
03/06/2001 9:31 pm
yes I do have a bass, but I need bass AND guitar strings on the same instrument. and guitar strings sound like crap on a bass. I've thought about it alot of ways and it's the only way to get the sound I want.

I've rigged it very poorly right now, and the guitar pickups seem to work well enough. I filed down the bridge to fit the strings in, and uncoiled the end of the strings to fit them through the tremolo. I had to put them in backwards, and then re-attach the little balls at the end to get them through. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience doing this, and knows of a better way...
# 4
trendkillah
trendkillah
03/07/2001 12:04 am
The only one I've seen doing this is that guy from the Presidents of the united states of america. He plays on a guitar, strung with 2 bass strings.
My suggestion, take it to a tech, explain what you want, and ask if it can be done at a reasonable price.

Though I'm not sure if guitar pickups will work so good with low frequencies like that.

Greetz, TK
# 5
Fender1165
Fender1165
03/07/2001 4:24 pm
AH! This topic makes me worried for the safety of the guitar. If you do this (and I'm not completely sure why you would) MAKE SURE you have a trained professional complete it all for you. String tension, etc, could warp the neck if it's not done correctly. Goodluck.... but I wouldn't recommend doing this.

-ejd
http://hometown.aol.com/BlueZeroBand
-ejd

email:
Fender1165@aol.com
Guitarbiz@hotmail.com

Site: http://www.hometown.aol.com/Fender1165/index.html
(Sign the guestbook if u go :) )
# 6
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
03/07/2001 8:49 pm
Originally posted by Cahtz
yes I do have a bass, but I need bass AND guitar strings on the same instrument.

*Why ?

I've rigged it very poorly right now, and the guitar pickups seem to work well enough. I filed down the bridge to fit the strings in, and uncoiled the end of the strings to fit them through the tremolo. I had to put them in backwards, and then re-attach the little balls at the end to get them through. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience doing this, and knows of a better way...

*Buy a Double-neck....One bass, one guitar......

*This re-wrapping string balls and filing down bridge stuff sounds kinda garage, dude....I'm REALLY curious why you're doing this :)....Do tell us :)
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 7
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
03/07/2001 9:00 pm
Maybe he just want's something of the wall.
"Take my hand boss"
# 8
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/08/2001 6:53 am

Dude, the only thing you're gunna do by trying to put bass strings on a guitar is jack it up. I don't think the neck and joints of a regular guitar are built to withstand the stress of bass strings. But, best of luck to you . . .

-Christoph
# 9
Cahtz
Cahtz
03/10/2001 5:05 am
well I'm only putting 2 bass strings on, and they're tuned very low, so I'm not really worried about the neck warping. and I've still got 3 guitar strings on there, so their's still proper tension on the tremolo and neck.

I'm doing this because I need a really guttural, distorted bass rhythm (in place of a rhythm guitar), but I still need the high end for bridges/solos. so I'm stringing my guitar with bass AND guitar strings so I don't have to add a third bass player.

really I'm doing more modifications to the strings than to the guitar. I might have to just break down and have it professionally done. I'm just worried about the cost :(
# 10
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
03/10/2001 11:10 pm
Keep the guitar strings on, de-tune it with a heavy guitar string (like a.52), swap the pick-up for an "Invader" and use an outboard Harmonizer (set for lower harmonix, 3,5,7 whatever), throw some distortion in and YOU WILL be able to plow dirt with the sound ! You don't need to re-invent the wheel to get the sound you're looking for but maybe you're on to some cutting edge stuff here...(tee-hee)....Have fun :D...BTW, if you do this, you will not only save $$$, but you'll end up with a much more versatile axe in that you will also be able to create different sounds with the harmonizer......I use a Lexicon MP-100 and I use the pitch (harmonizer)setting for some gutter stuff (through the Marshall) and I can tell ya, If it gets anymore gutteral than that, I'd need a ladder to climb back out....:D

[Edited by LEEtheV on 03-10-2001 at 06:13 PM]
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 11
loner92
loner92
03/11/2001 7:39 am
Originally posted by Cahtz
well I'm only putting 2 bass strings on, and they're tuned very low, so I'm not really worried about the neck warping. and I've still got 3 guitar strings on there, so their's still proper tension on the tremolo and neck.

I'm doing this because I need a really guttural, distorted bass rhythm (in place of a rhythm guitar), but I still need the high end for bridges/solos. so I'm stringing my guitar with bass AND guitar strings so I don't have to add a third bass player.

really I'm doing more modifications to the strings than to the guitar. I might have to just break down and have it professionally done. I'm just worried about the cost :(

Good advice. Putting bass strings on a guitar WILL screw up (doughnut) the neck.

Also, if you want to tune really low and keep string tension, check out Schecter's Scorpion guitar. It's an extended scale 6 string guitar tuned BEADGB.

# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/11/2001 6:55 pm
The guys from the Pres. of the United States of America actually got the idea (and their first 2 string btw) from Mark Sandman of Morphine. Mark used several diferent instruments, I think some were basses w/ 2 strings, and some were guitars w/ 3. He also used regular guitars, keys, and other weird things for his various songs. Anyway, it sounds like Cahtz is almost trying to do a Charlie Hunter (who is awesome in my humble opinion). Whatever you do, good luck, just remember that having low tension on one side of the neck and normal tension on the other is just as bad as way too high tension all the way across.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.