nunchuka

pikengren
pikengren
10/04/2004 4:17 am
since this is open discussion, i thought this would be the place to ask something that's way off topic from the guitar.
my daughter has expressed interest in nunchuks, so i bought her a pair of lightweight foam ones.
i have no training whatsoever with these things, other than beating myself up with a homemade wooden pair when i was a teen. there's this little bone on the inside of your elbow......(ouch)
any way, i'm wondering if anyone here knows of any links to websites that might have tips, instructional guides or anything of that nature that can be viewed on the web (in other words free , lol)
i don't want to waste her time teaching her useless stuff, or things where she might injure herself. so far i've only gone as far as to show her how to do a couple of safer things , and how not to bop yourself doing them.
but i don't want to go too far without some solid experienced advice and instruction.
?????????????
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/04/2004 4:36 am
It's "nunchaku" not "nunchuka."
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
pikengren
pikengren
10/04/2004 4:43 am
in my search through the internet , i've seen a variety of spellings, so i picked one from a site that appeared to know what they were talking about.
thank you, though. now i can correct the paramedic if he misspells it on his report after i knock myself silly. :D
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/04/2004 4:46 am
Hahaha! Awesome, dude.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 4
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
10/04/2004 7:37 pm
Just remember, never underestimate how dangerous the real things are. They might help hand-eye coordination and be fun and all that but fact is if someone hits you with one pretty much anywhere except the arms it will take you down and cause severe damage.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/04/2004 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiJust remember, never underestimate how dangerous the real things are. They might help hand-eye coordination and be fun and all that but fact is if someone hits you with one pretty much anywhere except the arms it will take you down and cause severe damage.

Thanks a lot, Captain Safety :rolleyes: ! Don't listen to him, dude. Swing away...like in "Signs"...man that was a stupid line.

[/sarcasm...(except for that "Signs" thing. That line was dumb as hell.)]
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 6
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/05/2004 2:28 am
Go out and rent all 3 ninja turtles movies. Get a pizza for the two of you and some beer for yourself. I'm sure you can pick up alot by watching the gnarly Michaelangelo whoopin' up on the foot clan.

Jolly, your line was gay as hell. So was that movie.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/05/2004 4:19 am
Swing away, Mel's brother! For your dead sister-in-law!
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/05/2004 7:26 am
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanSwing away, Mel's brother! For your dead sister-in-law!

It was kinda cool how she was pinned to that tree and still talking, but other than that not a great movie.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/05/2004 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggIt was kinda cool how she was pinned to that tree and still talking, but other than that not a great movie.

Well, I liked the movie. But that "Swing away" what a bunch of crap.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/05/2004 4:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonWell, I liked the movie. But that "Swing away" what a bunch of crap.

I didn't really like the ending. I mean, all this buildup, and there actually were aliens?!?!? And they have the power to leap on to a roof with one bound, but are contained in a pantry with a chair wedged up against the door?!?!? COME ON!!! It would have been waaaay better if it there was some believable explanation instead of stupid aliens. That just insulted my intelligence.

[/sarcasm]
# 11
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/06/2004 1:30 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggGo out and rent all 3 ninja turtles movies. Get a pizza for the two of you and some beer for yourself. I'm sure you can pick up alot by watching the gnarly Michaelangelo whoopin' up on the foot clan.

Michealangelo? I thought it was Raphael! Or maybe Leonardo...

Oh sorry I'm getting off topic.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/06/2004 1:40 am
Originally Posted by: The AceMichealangelo? I thought it was Raphael! Or maybe Leonardo...

Oh sorry I'm getting off topic.

As a certified ninjaturtleologist I assure you and the guitartricks community that Michaelangelo had the nunchuks. Here's the rundown:

Leonardo - Katana Blades
Raphael - Sais
Michaelangelo - nunchuks
Donatello - Bo

Splinter - Magical rat power

Looking back on the ninja turtles as an adult who was an 8-year-old child during the prime marketing ninja turtle frenzy of the late 80's, it's clear they had everything going for them.

Teenage - What kid didn't look up to teenagers; those who traipsed the fine line between child and adult.

Mutant - Obviously cool

Ninja - Man, when I was little all I wanted to do was drink cola and learn martial arts. I'd leap from the couch and drop-kick a bean bag that I'd sit on to play the ol' 8-bit NES games.

Turtles - Who doesn't like turtles?
My YouTube Profile
# 13
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/06/2004 3:42 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggAs a certified ninjaturtleologist I assure you and the guitartricks community that Michaelangelo had the nunchuks. Here's the rundown:

Leonardo - Katana Blades
Raphael - Sais
Michaelangelo - nunchuks
Donatello - Bo

Splinter - Magical rat power

Looking back on the ninja turtles as an adult who was an 8-year-old child during the prime marketing ninja turtle frenzy of the late 80's, it's clear they had everything going for them.

Teenage - What kid didn't look up to teenagers; those who traipsed the fine line between child and adult.

Mutant - Obviously cool

Ninja - Man, when I was little all I wanted to do was drink cola and learn martial arts. I'd leap from the couch and drop-kick a bean bag that I'd sit on to play the ol' 8-bit NES games.

Turtles - Who doesn't like turtles?

Yeah, I watched the cartoon every day after school. Each episode I wished that Michaelangelo would finally reveal his undyinglove for April, but, alas! That was my introduction to basic TV writing... keep the viewers wanting more.

I can still sing the theme song (although there weren't exactly very many words).

[/sarcasm]
# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/06/2004 5:33 am
Quick...everybody hide!!!

# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
10/06/2004 8:04 am
mike made me buy plastic-chucks... they sucked

so i built wooden ones.. they hurt...

then i built metal ones.. they almost killed..

then i switched to sais.. they still look cool on my wall

now i´m into medieval swordfighting .. its fun! now i´m a real man!
a guitar and a sword - what more do you need? (xept beer)

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 16
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
10/06/2004 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeQuick...everybody hide!!!

Sniff... now you've done it... My flowing tears have ruined my keyboard. :( :( :(

[/sarcasm]
# 17
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/06/2004 2:36 pm
Aw.. the force is still with you young padawan. :p
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.