Know any good luthier around?

the fool
the fool
09/24/2004 7:39 pm
I'm thinking of having a custom made guitar done- I'm thinking a guitar that exactly looks like the discontinued Gibson Les Paul Florentine- with a couple of modifications like a 25" scale, true double octave, 24 fret neck, deep set neck tenon and direct coupling construction, 3 pickups, and better grade wood. I tried looking around but every luthier or guitar company that I ask says they can't do it. For instance, I emailed Warmoth but I got a message back saying that they can't make my guitar. The only guy that I know who does deep set neck tenon and direct coupling construction is a guy named Ed Roman- but I don't even know if he's as credible as he says he is on his site. Is there any good luthier around here who knows how to make a guitar or do you guys know a very good luthier who can make me my guitar? thnx
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/24/2004 7:52 pm
I'd be careful of Ed Roman ! (I'm also not saying don't !).

He is a very well know name in the guitar world and he knows a lot, however he is very opinionated.

I also know several people who will tell you that he is more concerned with making a sale and his margins than selling you the best axe he can for the money you have to spend !

http://www.warmoth.com may be worth checking out.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
the fool
the fool
09/25/2004 12:11 am
I did emailed warmoth but they said they can't make my guitar. The guy didn't even explain to my why they can't make it which is what's frustrating me.
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/25/2004 12:34 am
That would make me think twice before parting with a couple of grand !

Can you find a guitar that is near to the final Axe you are after and contact the custom shop of that company ? An inquiry ain't even going to cost you a stamp !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
09/25/2004 3:44 pm
Warmoth just makes parts, have you really done a good local search? You have to ask around beause alot of local guys don't advertise, I once found a small custom shop ( about the size of a large airplane hangar ) that had been in biz for years that did nothing but repairs and custom work, they have never advertised, no wonder they call themselves Secret Service, another place you might want to give a shot is Jaros, he does build for big Ed, but since you want something different, which is pretty much right up his alley, (deep set tenon etc), why not just cut out the middle man, Ed , just contact him direct, he's got a website, besides some one like Jaros, you could contact Gibson Custom Shop, whoever you find, be prepared to wait and part with a large sum of money :)
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/26/2004 7:15 am
ask around in here . There are some amazing luthier's in there.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.