Shred!

Rob_H
Rob_H
09/12/2004 5:15 pm
i want to start to learn how to play shred guitar in the type of style of Steve Vai, joe satriani, john 5 & yngwie malmsteem & i really dont have a clue where to start. can someone please list the techniques ill need to learn & master

this audio of me playing SRV - Lenny is about the standard i am now Click Here

and also what effects settings i can use to get a good shred tone similar to steve vai, joe satriani & yngwie malmsteem. ive got a marshall jackhammer distortion pedal, a korg AX1500G multi-FX(it has amp modelling so if you use any particular amp setting please tell me them too) & a fender princeton amp
# 1
Death55
Death55
09/12/2004 7:13 pm
Joe satriani seems to use a lot of pentatonic scales so you will need to learn all your pentatonic scales(major and minor).
Joe also uses a lot of legato so you might want to get good at that.
Modes are also what you will need to learn so have a look around to learn about modes. I know yngwie will use the harmonic minor scale alot so that would be another one to do research on.
If you really want to get fast then remember to start slow and always use a metronome !

Thats all i can think of right now.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/15/2004 7:32 am
It's Malmsteen not Malmsteem ! ;)

If you want to start playing a new style , get your self into it by choosing a couple of songs , get their tabs and start playing them ... This way you'll find yourself figuring out lots of stuff on your own first, which is way better than waiting for someone to show you the way.
In case you have a problem with a specific line in a solo or something, just ask about it here.

Anyway , about trademark techniques for the players you mentioned
Malmsteen - Alternate Picking , Sweep Picking
Joe Satriani - Lots of Legato
Steve Vai - I don't think anyone can explain his technique in words, videos might help.
John 5 - Who's that ? :confused:
# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/15/2004 8:38 pm
SLY got a good start.

Vai is kind of messed up fusoid of a bunch of different playing (I like it though). Some times you will hear a strong, very quick scale that uses precise picking. Others, you will see a stellar legato technique.

hope that helps.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4
Rob_H
Rob_H
09/16/2004 8:20 pm
thanks for your input

john 5 was a session guitarist he worked with kd lang & many more, he then joined marrilyn mansons band & stayed with them for a few years, recording 3 albums, he was then encouraged to quit the band by les paul, & was called a true origional by steve vai, he has now quit the band & recorded a solo album called Vertigo.

he plays a mixture of styles like, heavy metal, industrial, bluegrass/country & bluegrass/country given a speed metal face lift, all in an amazing shred style. if you like guitar music you should definatelly invest in his album.

ill try out all the suggested techniques, ive just started dabbling with a bit of tapping, im canny lame at it up to now like but ill get better.

thanks again
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/16/2004 8:33 pm
[FONT=]
Originally Posted by: SLYSteve Vai - I don't think anyone can explain his technique in words, videos might help.

I'll attempt...Vai is Satriani with a sharper tone and slightly less talent.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/17/2004 12:14 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollyson[FONT=]

ooo, was that a burn?

Oh yea Rob, if you want to learn tapping, check out Schmange's instructor page, I believe he's got a tutorial on the subject with 50 something pages.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
alucard0941
alucard0941
09/17/2004 12:18 am
yea I agree with SLY but here is my list of influencial shredders you should learn and emulate.

Malmsteen - Sweep Picking
John Petrucci - Alternate Picking
Van Halen - Tapping
Joe Satriani - Tap/Legato/Wah-Shred...the whole nine yards with this dude
Herman Li - Shred with the Whammy...awsome stuff man
Al Petrelli - Capo Shredding (when you use your right hand as a capo and tap with your fingers up and down scales with the left)
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 8
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
09/17/2004 7:58 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollyson Vai is Satriani with a sharper tone and slightly less talent.

Tone is a personal taste , can't argue about that ... I also prefer satch's tone anyway.
I really don't mean to be rude or offend you in personal at all, but since we're discussing technique , then saying that Vai is less talented than Satch means that either you don't know anything about guitar music , or you know nothing about Vai.
# 9
VintageReaper
VintageReaper
09/17/2004 8:55 am
To keep the insults from flying I'll add a bit of humor...

I don't know my about either: guitar music or Steve Vai. Being self taught has its disadvantages. :D
You're an inspiration for birth control. - Duke Nukem.
# 10
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
09/18/2004 5:02 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollyson[FONT=]

Man that ain't cool. :mad:
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 11
pikengren
pikengren
09/18/2004 5:48 am
some opinions are formed objectively, and some are not.
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
09/18/2004 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: pikengrensome opinions are formed objectively, and some are not.

I got a hunch his was formed using the latter. :D ;)
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/18/2004 6:31 am
Vai is an acquired taste. The first time through a lot of his stuff just sounds interesting, but if you let it sink in a little you start to realize just how incredible of a musician he is.

"He plays with the hands of ten guitarists and the soul of a thousand" -Ernie Ball.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 14
pikengren
pikengren
09/18/2004 6:43 am
i personally couldn't really get into vai, i appreciate it for what it is, and i've heard some of it that i like, but it's just not for me.
di meola was an acquired taste for me.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.