bigsby tremelo

cayotic727
cayotic727
08/20/2004 12:06 pm
im thinking about putting a bigsby tremelo on my guitar

first off will a bigsby sound like other more common tremelos so i can do the moves steve vai and joe satriani do with their tremelo bars?

and second will i be sacrificing anything by having one installed (alternate tunings, the tone i can get with a hard tail bridge.....)?
Alas for I am Jay! Reviver of very, very old threads!
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/20/2004 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: cayotic727im thinking about putting a bigsby tremelo on my guitar

first off will a bigsby sound like other more common tremelos so i can do the moves steve vai and joe satriani do with their tremelo bars?[/QUOTE]That kind of stuff requires a complete system to lock the strings in tune, like a Floyd Rose design with locking nut. The Bigsby is only a tremolo, so unless you also install a roller type bridge, and a locking nut or locking tuning machines, your guitar will [u]not[/u] stay in tune under that kind of attack.

[QUOTE=cayotic727]and second will i be sacrificing anything by having one installed (alternate tunings, the tone i can get with a hard tail bridge.....)?
The trem bar position will move up or down a bit depending on how the string tension changes when you change the tuning. The tone won't be affected much by the trem, but if you have to change the bridge to a roller type, you are likely to lose some of the presence and thickness.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/21/2004 11:13 pm
No they don't, still got my Kahler Pro, I honestly thought way back in the 80's that Kahler would beat out Floyd Rose for supremacy in the wang bar wars, I guess Kahler lost the war when the court battle was over, still better IMHO....
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.