Attaching .wma files

George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/11/2004 5:06 am
Could someone tell me how i can post .wma files in the listening post, I don't know how but I'm itchin' to post some stuff. A quick reply would be much appreciated! THX!!

ROCK ON,
Edward Lynch
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/11/2004 5:56 am
Just do it the same way as mp3 files. Put the file on your own server or web page and post a link to it in the forum.
If they're weed files you might get some reluctance to using em cause people have to install copyright protection software to track how many downloads they've had.
I found a lot of people didn't want to risk installing unfamiliar software.
They don't work on Macs either.
Too bad, cause it's a decent idea for making a little extra cash.
# 2
George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/11/2004 4:58 pm
Where can I go to get a good free site that I can put those kind of files on? I don't want to have to pay anything, I'm only 14, but I need a free site that will let me put .mp3 or .wav files on it.

ROCK ON,
Edward Lynch
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/11/2004 5:30 pm
There's lots of places on the web to place free MP3's (all the yahoo type sites) but you'll have to trade off a lot of convenience. Most likely you won't be able to directly link to your files... which means anybody wanting to hear your music will have to surf through several pop-ups, advertisements and other pages until they actually get to your song.
Guys like me with cable hook ups want a direct link to the actual song so that it'll start playing immediately...within a couple of seconds.
If somebody posts an html website address here or a link to yet another link, I'll usually just pass on it cause it's too time consuming and frustrating to get the file working.
Another drawback is they'll only allow a certain number of people to listen to your songs before they cut you off for the day.
Yet another drawback is there's no guarantee that your file is going to stay on their server. One day your song just isn't there anymore and everybody's getting 404 errors while you think everything's still working.

For next to nothing you can get your own domain name, 500MB of space and the ability for people to download 500GB of your songs. You can post a direct link to your songs like this...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/mp3/MoogBoog.mp3

... and I can guarantee that about 99.9% of the time, with a cable hook up, you can be listening to the song in less than 5 seconds.

Another advantage of paying for your own server space is getting your own domain name and email addresses, setting up an online store, tracking downloads etc etc..

Some places like this one...
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=6828651
...require a credit card in case too many people download your stuff then they start charging you $1.00 for every gigabyte over your limit.

Other places will allow you to pay by money order and give you 100MB space for about $30 or less per year.

Hell, for $30 a year, just get a paper route or or take some stuff to a pawn shop or something.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/11/2004 5:50 pm
You can upload songs to http://www.nowhereradio.com or http://www.songramp.com for free and then link to them.

Only drawback with this is that you cant post covers
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/11/2004 7:42 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeGuys like me with cable hook ups want a direct link to the actual song so that it'll start playing immediately...within a couple of seconds.
If somebody posts an html website address here or a link to yet another link, I'll usually just pass on it cause it's too time consuming and frustrating to get the file working.

I second that emotion.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/12/2004 2:43 pm
I use soundclick which is fairly easy, and lets you upload a limitless amount of songs. But, they also don't want you to post cover songs, but I've noticed alot of people doing it, so I guess that's up to you. You can check out the link in my signature to get a feel for it. Oh yeah, and it's free.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/13/2004 1:19 pm
Forgot one of the most important reasons for getting your own server.
Sound quality. Most free services limit you to 128kbps MP3 files. They also usually do the encoding themselves to a format that works on their own system (.wma, m3u etc..) which further degrades the quality.

Just from experience in the last coupla years, I found pretty much anything less than 320kbps and it starts to sound more and more harsh. By the time you get down to 192kbps (supposedly CD quality), it sounds harsh and kinda dead sounding. 128kbps and lower, and your music starts to sound like it's playing underwater. (ie, listen to anything on GarageBand.com through RealPlayer on a decent stereo system with headphones and you'll get my drift)

One of the other advantages of encoding the files yourself is there's several types of encoding 'formulas' used and some software is better than others. If you encode your own MP3's (ie, a lo-fi and hi-fi version), you'll be able to test several settings until you find the ones that sound best.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.