6- way rotary switch

the fool
the fool
07/26/2004 2:56 am
i read an old article here something about a tone library and it mentioned something about a 6- way rotary switch and how it's an advanced form of coil splitting with a lot of options- now i really think that adding a switch like this is really neat but my problem is, i dont know where to buy one from. so my guestion is- where can i get a 6- way rotary switch? i checked the internet for the 6- way rotary switch but most of the switches that i could find were only 5- way rotary switches- and they are mainly from prs and the ones that they use on their customs and ce models. I only found one guitar that uses a 6- way rotary switch and it's the Framus AK 1974 guitar. It looks like the 6- way rotary switch is a rare one. Does anyone knows who sells these switches? thnx!
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/26/2004 7:57 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Check out the Unidex 2P6T.

You should Google for manufacturers like Unidex, CTS, Stackpole, NGK.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
the fool
the fool
07/26/2004 3:27 pm
lordathestrings, i checked out the site. which in there is the 6- way rotary switch? Is it the 2 pole, 6- way rotary switch that i should get or are there other 6- rotary switches there that has a different number of poles besidse two? pardon me- i havent seen what a 6 way rotary switch looks like from the outside- it's a very new thing to me. BTW, I also have a number of questions regarding the switch and I was wondering if you can help me out: 1) How does a 6 way rotary switch work? (in particular, how does it work with a 3 way toggle switch and also, let's with a varitone switch if supposedly there's a varitone switch in the guitar) 2) Is there a difference between the 5 and 6 way rotary switch? 3) I went to the PRS site and tried to understand how a 5- way rotary switch works but I don't understand why they number the functions from 6- 10, and also the need for a push pull tone (ie, if there's a bypass position in the switch, why do they need to have a push pull pot to disable the rotary switch) 4) I checked out the said site and there's so many types of them rotary switches out there (there's even ceramic ones), which 6- way rotary switch is the best out there? should i go with the ceramic ones or is there anything better when it comes to quality and reliability. Please explain all this to to me in detail if you may. i don't mind reading a lot thnx.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/27/2004 2:40 am
[font=trebuchet ms]It sounds to me like you're a long way from understanding what you're about here. And this isn't a good place to try to learn all of what you want to know.

I recommend that you sit down with a guitar tech and work out what it is that you want to do. That definition of the functions will determine what hardware should be applied to make it happen.

A 6-way switch is not some panacea that will magically open up your tonal palette. You must define what combinations you want [u]before[/u] you select the switch(es).

Now, some technical info:

A pole, in switching parlance, is the Common terminal which is connected to each position or throw as the actuator (in this case the knob on the shaft) is moved.

The minimun possible number of poles is one. The minimum number of throws is two. This would be designated as SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw)

The designation changes to numbers as more poles and throws (positions) are added. The 2P6T designation describes a switch that can connect each of 2 poles to 6 different terminals.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
12string_doug
12string_doug
03/28/2006 9:37 pm
I hope nobody minds my spinning up an almost-two-year-old topic, but I just found this. Thanks to Lordathestrings for the technical info; very handy for us "non-BSEE" types.
So I already have a 4P6T rotary switch, and a Memphis LP copy that I'd like to try it in. I'd be quite content with the "Superblend" mod that was shown on the original GuitarNuts Forum (apparently the thread is no longer even cached by Google), but with on/on/on mini toggles for series/parallel/coil cut on each pup. (I have other plans for some push/pull pots.)
Also suitable would be something like the Gibson L6-S that Bill Lawrence designed back in '73 or so, but I haven't found a wiring diagram for that yet, and I'm "schematically-challenged." (I've sent an email to Bill and Becky to ask if he can offer any help.)
The 5-way "PRS-type" arrangements available through GuitarElectronics.com and other sites really aren't what I had in mind.
Any diagrams, links, etc. would be appreciated.

--
Doug C.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.