View post (Dirty pool)

View thread

elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
07/10/2006 2:24 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOneYeah... this is why it is that English is so confusing :)

I was actually quite surprised when I started learning Japanese; it's not phonetic at all, in fact it's actually somewhat monotonous (as I am, often; I'm sure magicninja can attest to this) and everything is broken down into syllables, which is why it is that people from Japan are well-known for adding "u" or "a" to the end of words in English.

My name, for instance, is one of the worst to translate into Nihongo. "Tristan" is structurally near impossible in Japanese; there's no "tr," no "is," however there is a "tan." So the most direct translation that people in Japan would be able to use with ease is "ta ri su tan." So "Tarisutan." Some of the other transliterations of common western names are interesting... "Robert" is "Robaato," and it's kind of interesting when you think of the Styx song "Mr. Roboto" knowing this... also, Mary would be "Mearii" and the surname "Jones" would be "Jonesu," but pronounced "jo nay soo."

Anyway...

Platypi.

Platypi......*giggle*

So what would Chris be in Japanese?

They say English is the hardest second language to learn because of all the rules and exceptions as well as slang changing weekly.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace