Your own definition of good chemistry...

Joseph
Joseph
02/15/2001 1:44 am
I'm sure we have all had our share of experiences with different types of musicians, some have work out and others we aree still working on. But the whole time in the back of our heads, I think for the most part we know whats makes a successful band, (and not only in financial terms.) Personally, whats your definition?And do you think its always a disaster to start a band based primarily on financial reasons?

Everyone in the band should be willing to work together from the beginning, and willing to accept all of the consequences that go along with making honest music. For a band to be successful everyone has to give alot. You can't be an egomaniac and just think about yourself, its important to realize that everyone is different and they all have something unique to add to the mix. If you look at all of the great bands from Queen, Zeppelin, Soundgarden, each person in the band was different, but equally proficient, (because they had the will to succeed at all costs. The chemistry that comes from that is essential.

-Joseph, :).
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
02/16/2001 4:25 am
Chemistry in the band is very important. I remember a qoute of Bono's, when u2 were a band of 19 year olds, he said "I really feel we are destined to become one of the great bands, we have a chemistry. The Beatles had it, the sotnes have it, and u2 have it." Now personally, if anyone actually said that to me I would want to see them fail simply to teach them right for being so ****y, but it shows that if there is a great chemistry, you know your band will be good.
To be succesful, I think that you need to love music, completely and unconditionally. Music comes first (sometimes unfortunatle to the detriment of some relationships). If it doesn't, you can still be a good band, but not that extra bit that seperates the amateurs from the rock gods.
FInally I think that (and many might disagree) for a rock musician, you need to have a desrie to be famous, to be the best. I don't believe that seriously there is any band that at least initially didn't have a yearning for fame. It might be selfish, it might be ruthless, and it is certainly arrogant, but I think that it is needed. You look at most of the rock greats, and by and by they have a passion to be noticed. I don't think this is true in all music, but I believe it is true of rock, that is so wrapped up in the charisma of the performers, and the drive to suceed whatever the cost.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.