Which is better

the fool
the fool
06/30/2004 4:55 am
Which is better to have- a 5 way rotary switch or a varitone?
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/30/2004 7:39 pm
I don't know anything about the varitone, but I do have a 5-way rotary switch on my PRS, and i dont' like it. it's the same as a 5-way toggle switch only you rotate it. I like haveing the 5 different tones, just not having to rotate the knob to change them.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
the fool
the fool
07/01/2004 6:19 pm
does the 5 way rotary switch affect both pu's in your prs? i'm just curious as to how it works- i've never seen one on a guitar b4. i'm thinking of getting a varitone switch or a 5 way rotary switch in my lp but i dont know which is better to have. i've tried the varitone and can get pretty nice strat tone on the middle position but i've never tried a 5 way rotary switch.
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/02/2004 2:48 am
this is how the 5-way rotary uses the pickups on my PRS acording to the PRS website:

Position 10: Treble pickup
Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel
Position 8: Series single coils ā€“ Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 7: Series single coils-warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 6: Bass pickup

it goes from 10-6 because it's the same 1-10 knob used for tone and volume. It's basically the exact same thing as a 5-way toggle switch like what's on a strat, etc... I'm planning on having it switched out for a 3-way toggle switch and have the tone knob changed to a push-pull pot that will make it go from humbuckers to single coils.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/02/2004 3:19 am
I have a 3 way (+ coil tap) on my CE24 and love it !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.