EMG's a good buy?

McSwellington
McSwellington
07/31/2006 7:07 am
Whats up people!

I just got some EMG's for my B.C. Rich Beast and was wondering if anyone had done this before. Wondering what kind of sound is going to erupt from my guitar when I really crank it up!
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/31/2006 10:24 am
For a Beast? Yeah, I think EMG's will work out great as well as accent the look.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
07/31/2006 10:25 am
EMG's are nice pups, I have a set of Zak Wyldes in my Ibanez Prestige. On reflection, I should just have gone with two 81's as I find the 85 so bassy that it's unuseable by itself (unlike other combos where the neck . The 81 gives grea lead tone and extended sustain, nice for pinched harmonics and whammy dives. Another thing, being active pups you don't benefit so much from the natural tone generated by the body of your guitar. This can be good or bad thing! Never did understand why a lot of player put EMG's into ultra upper end Gibsons for example.... kind of defeats the purpose of having an expensive mahogany body :confused:
Anyway, what set did you get?
# 3
McSwellington
McSwellington
08/01/2006 2:51 am
I got the same kind, and can't wait to try them out. I'm pretty sure their going to blow my others out of the water, from what people have told me. Anyway, just gotta wait for the install.
# 4
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/01/2006 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanEMG's are nice pups, I have a set of Zak Wyldes in my Ibanez Prestige. On reflection, I should just have gone with two 81's as I find the 85 so bassy that it's unuseable by itself (unlike other combos where the neck . The 81 gives grea lead tone and extended sustain, nice for pinched harmonics and whammy dives. Another thing, being active pups you don't benefit so much from the natural tone generated by the body of your guitar. This can be good or bad thing! Never did understand why a lot of player put EMG's into ultra upper end Gibsons for example.... kind of defeats the purpose of having an expensive mahogany body :confused:
Anyway, what set did you get?

Would an 81 sound too brittle in the neck position?
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 5
Superhuman
Superhuman
08/01/2006 8:08 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Would an 81 sound too brittle in the neck position?

The 85 at the neck and 81 at the bridge is the Zak Wylde setup, I think Kirk Hammet uses two 81's. THe problem I have with the ZW set is my Ibanez doesn't have the multiple tone controls to allow a change in the mix from neck to bridge (that may be why a lot of guys use EMG's on Gibsons... hmmm). They sound great off the bridge but for me it's just too loud and bassy from the neck when you flip forward. This becomes a problem if you tweak the tone for the neck because it will then be too tinny off the bridge. Anyway, I love this set for lead and used them on a recent track through a GT-Pro, great tone. Swings and roundabouts, horses for courses, six to one and half a dozen to another... ! :p
# 6
gatoazul
gatoazul
08/23/2006 7:09 pm
my experience with EMG's is a good one
however, are they single coils or hummers
suffice to say that I used them on a strat
and am very happy with them
all trace of hum from the original pickups is gone
by the way they also happen to be active
so you they need a good kick in the butt
to get them to knarl some
but overall I'd rate them up there
the clean sound is clean
and the overdrive
is sweet and sustainable
with good separation
# 7
silla_55555
silla_55555
08/24/2006 1:28 am
"To me its all about playing music, its not about showing people what you can do with
a peice of wood in your hands." - John Frusciante

www.bj-craft.com
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.