Singing lessons

Guitar Tricks Forum > The Musician's Life > Singing lessons

suicidalmoose

Full Access

hey i was wondering whether anybody here goes to singing lessons and whether they're really worth it. like guitar lessons were worth it for me when i was learnin the basics and after that tabs and this site kinda gave me things to practice.

I was goin to singing workshops before but it was all pop music and it annoyed the crap out of me because it was on a monday at 7, and monday evenings i'm in my worst mood cause of the new week of work.

after you know the basics, ie sing from the diaghram, breathing excercises etc, how do you about singing rock, punk, metal? do you just jump in an do it, practice heaps or what?

hey i was wondering whether anybody here goes to singing lessons and whether they're really worth it. like guitar lessons were worth it for me when i was learnin the basics and after that tabs and this site kinda gave me things to practice.

I was goin to singing workshops before but it was all pop music and it annoyed the crap out of me because it was on a monday at 7, and monday evenings i'm in my worst mood cause of the new week of work.

after you know the basics, ie sing from the diaghram, breathing excercises etc, how do you about singing rock, punk, metal? do you just jump in an do it, practice heaps or what?

rockonn91

meh, Ive never took singing lessons... Ive always just sung. Its never been a problem for me.

Its pretty much different for everyone. some people get it naturally some people have to work their butts off. I guess you really just have to figure that out yourself, bud. sorry im not much help.... :o
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast

meh, Ive never took singing lessons... Ive always just sung. Its never been a problem for me.

Its pretty much different for everyone. some people get it naturally some people have to work their butts off. I guess you really just have to figure that out yourself, bud. sorry im not much help.... :o
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast

acapella

Yeah, singing lessons aren't even available to me if I wanted them. Maybe if I went to Winnipeg (over an hour both ways) on a regular basis, but I won't. I just sing all the time at home. Most people are pretty good anyway and just get better with casual (or maybe intensive, but I again I won't) practice. The hardest part for me is singing well in front of other people, which is something I'm still working on, but getting better at. It's really difficult to sing to your full ability when you know people will judge you.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.

Yeah, singing lessons aren't even available to me if I wanted them. Maybe if I went to Winnipeg (over an hour both ways) on a regular basis, but I won't. I just sing all the time at home. Most people are pretty good anyway and just get better with casual (or maybe intensive, but I again I won't) practice. The hardest part for me is singing well in front of other people, which is something I'm still working on, but getting better at. It's really difficult to sing to your full ability when you know people will judge you.

suicidalmoose

Full Access

yer i guess so, i practice singin usually when i'm playin guitar, cause singin along to songs whilst their playin is kinda not as satisfyin as playin a chunky metal riff and singin along to it.

yer i guess so, i practice singin usually when i'm playin guitar, cause singin along to songs whilst their playin is kinda not as satisfyin as playin a chunky metal riff and singin along to it.

Cryptic Excretions

Attorney at Law

I growl, so I don't think any of us are going to see people that teach you how to do that. I'd say your best bet would be to get a book or two and do some reading. However, practice and warming up is every bit as important with singing as anything else. That's the voice you talk with and unless you want to ruin that voice, it's important that you treat it well. Keep your throat well hydrated with plenty of water as well. I know there are plenty of techniques that you can do with you voice, but I haven't read into them enough to really describe how to use them or what they sound like, so, y'know.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.

I growl, so I don't think any of us are going to see people that teach you how to do that. I'd say your best bet would be to get a book or two and do some reading. However, practice and warming up is every bit as important with singing as anything else. That's the voice you talk with and unless you want to ruin that voice, it's important that you treat it well. Keep your throat well hydrated with plenty of water as well. I know there are plenty of techniques that you can do with you voice, but I haven't read into them enough to really describe how to use them or what they sound like, so, y'know.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.

suicidalmoose

Full Access

i guess the key is really converting my singin from the karaoke try and be and sing like other musicians to the find my own strengths and find my own voice kinda thing. guitar is helpin me do that, cause playin guitar is pretty damn meditative. still i wouldn mind shortcuts :P

i guess the key is really converting my singin from the karaoke try and be and sing like other musicians to the find my own strengths and find my own voice kinda thing. guitar is helpin me do that, cause playin guitar is pretty damn meditative. still i wouldn mind shortcuts :P

Jon Broderick

Administrator

I have taken signing lessons and have found them really helpful.

I would definitely recommend it.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

I have taken signing lessons and have found them really helpful.

I would definitely recommend it.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

http://www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons

pure

if singing lessons helped nobody then nobody would take them and then the lesson-place would have gone bankrupt and have to stopped teaching.

if singing lessons still exist today, they probably have things to teach that cant be learned easily on your own.
Originally Posted by: schmange
ugly fat chicks

if singing lessons helped nobody then nobody would take them and then the lesson-place would have gone bankrupt and have to stopped teaching.

if singing lessons still exist today, they probably have things to teach that cant be learned easily on your own.
Originally Posted by: schmange
ugly fat chicks

suicidalmoose

Full Access

if you don't mind me asking, how much did ya pay? it's pretty rediculous the going rate in london (it's like £25 an hour, which is about the equiv to 40US an hour for the cheaper instructors).

if you don't mind me asking, how much did ya pay? it's pretty rediculous the going rate in london (it's like £25 an hour, which is about the equiv to 40US an hour for the cheaper instructors).

acapella

I would take lessons if they are available to you. I wish I could, because really, I'm not that good. So if you can get them, do.

I would take lessons if they are available to you. I wish I could, because really, I'm not that good. So if you can get them, do.