Bloomin Idiot

tammie burden
tammie burden
10/14/2005 4:30 am
Hi, I'm a dumb mom of a 14 yr. old who plays electric guitar. I just recently bought a used Ibanez GIO 6 string, Strat style, electric guitar. I know nothing , but that it's 2 years old. It looks like it's in great condition. The neck is straight. You can't tell that it's been hardley used. I haven't heard it yet, because it's a christmas present for my daughter. Could somebody tell me if this is a decent gutiar and if i'm wasting my time or not? I got it for only 86 bucks. She likes metal and alternate music and takes lessons. Is this a good metal guitar? Someone help, please?!

Tammie
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/14/2005 5:56 am
Originally Posted by: tammie burdenHi, I'm a dumb mom of a 14 yr. old who plays electric guitar. I just recently bought a used Ibanez GIO 6 string, Strat style, electric guitar. I know nothing , but that it's 2 years old. It looks like it's in great condition. The neck is straight. You can't tell that it's been hardley used. I haven't heard it yet, because it's a christmas present for my daughter. Could somebody tell me if this is a decent gutiar and if i'm wasting my time or not? I got it for only 86 bucks. She likes metal and alternate music and takes lessons. Is this a good metal guitar? Someone help, please?!

Tammie

This should be an fine start for a beginner...though at 86 bucks I'm a little worried about a few things that may be wrong with it...did you get it on E-bay, in a pawn shop, from a friend? It might be a good idea to run it by a local guitar store and ask if there's anything wrong with it (guitar center usually won't charge you for that kind of thing). They might try to sell you some new pickups (the things in the body that channel the vibrations of the string into the wire that runs to the amplifier), but you can ignore those sales pitches, it's not worth it to upgrade pickups on that guitar, but if they say you'll need new tuning machines or could have the action lowered a little bit, I'd go for it. Lowering the action is really cheap (maybe even free), but the tuning machines could cost anywhere from 10 to 60 bucks! They're worth it though, as without decent ones, the guitar will be going out of tune every ten minutes. Don't fret though (no guitar-related pun intended), if there's anything drastically wrong they'll tell you. I have a feeling the guitar is fine, but I'm wondering why it was sold. Odds are good that the player just lost interest, which means there's probably not much (if anything) wrong with it.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/15/2005 2:48 am
Ya like he sais, the 86$ worries me abit, but I got a used strat in perfect condition, so don't let the word "used" fool you into the "this guitar is not worth my money" idea.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/15/2005 5:48 pm
does it look like this?

possibly in a different color... if so, then I have to say that I have one. the tuning machines stay in tune fairly well, but they don't turn very smoothly, the neck feels great. it's a good guitar, mine cost me $140 blemished but brand new, at a guitar shop that overprices everything. so $86 used sounds reasonable. I don't like the pickups very much, but other then that it's great.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.