Sore fingertip question

revdave10
revdave10
11/10/2021 7:24 pm

I’ve had many on again-off again years playing the guitar, have played bass for the last 30 years — both hobby and professionally, so I know all about finger soreness and building calluses. After a hiatus of 30 years from guitar, I’ve gotten very serious the last 5 months or so with my guitar playing, playing most every day for an hour or so, and doing lessons here. I’ve gotten my calluses established, but here’s the thing: my fingertips hurt All. The. Time. When I I press my fingertips with the pad of my thumb, it feels like I have blisters. When I type (which I do every day for work), it feels like I have blisters, not calluses. Within the last 5 days, I’ve been getting sharp pain, mostly in one small area of my ring finger, but some intermittently in other fingers too — doesn’t matter if I’m playing or not.

What’s going on here? I’ve had finger blisters in the past; I’ve had significant calluses in the past. This time feels very different. I’m now 60 years old. Is it age combined with pressing too hard while fretting? Practicing too long/overworking? Does anyone else have these symptoms? Looking for some input. Thanks.

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/10/2021 7:46 pm

What you're describing doesn't sound normal. You're an on/off player so probably have experience of the normal newbie aches and soreness.

I'd recommend seeing a doctor about this.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/15/2021 6:13 pm

Hey revdave! As we tell a lot of our students; calluses are the biggest hurdle for learning guitar, but there shouldn't be significant pain. Based on what you're describing, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get your fingers looked at. Otherwise, be sure to give your hands ample time to rest and see if the pain doesn't go away. Good luck!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.