Always retuning...

cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 10:42 am

A quick question for those in the know, everyday I pick up the guitar for about an hour of practice, and every day the guitars out of tune. Now it's a Yamaha Pacifica 612 and it's only 2 weeks old.. I've read that with new guitars it can pay to replace the strings straight away because you don't know how long they've been on the instrument and that they could be "worn out/stretched" before you even get to play or is this simply the case that you have to retune them constantly.

Thanks in advance

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/09/2021 11:14 am

From my experience, I start by checking the tuning and seem to usually need some small adjustments. I think changes in humidity play a part in it.

But tuning is step 1 for me.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/09/2021 11:31 am

Some retuning is normal whenever you pick up a guitar. It shouldn't be major retuning, though.

As for changing strings, I'd recommend doing that on any shop bought or second-hand guitar. I would also recommend that you learn to do this yourself instead of paying to have it done

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 2:53 pm
Originally Posted by: DraconusJLM

Some retuning is normal whenever you pick up a guitar. It shouldn't be major retuning, though.

As for changing strings, I'd recommend doing that on any shop bought or second-hand guitar. I would also recommend that you learn to do this yourself instead of paying to have it done

Thanks for that and its something I'm going to do, I simply don't know how old the strings are and how long they've been under tension.. and of course the quality of the strings that the manufacturer uses. I have a set of Ernie Ball Slinky's custom gauge nickel wound 10 - 46 strings.. I'm hoping they're good quality.

# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/09/2021 3:15 pm

I've used those strings with no problems at all.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/09/2021 3:20 pm

Thats going to change the feel of the guitar, it comes with high grade 9s. Personally I think your strings are fine from the factory. This is not a cheap guitar you have. Between my son and I we have 4 Yamaha guitars and basses they all came with good strings. And 9s are much nicer to play, imo, than 10s.

Whatever you decide, keep practicing. That's where its at.

# 6
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/09/2021 5:07 pm

Strings fitted on the guitar from factory are fine (my last two guitar purchases came that way) but a guitar that's been in a shop is a different matter entirely.

In my opinion, the difference in tone and feel between 10 - 40s and 9 - 42s won't be massive. Slightly heavier on the high end (but gains slightly on sustain and/or slight decrease in high end, but guitar is fitted with a tone knob); lighter and brighter on the low end.

Without actually hearing or seeing the guitar, I can't really comment on the condition of the current strings, but I do know every guitar I've bought from a shop has needed restringing straight away.

# 7
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 6:08 pm
Originally Posted by: cheaviag

Thanks for that and its something I'm going to do, I simply don't know how old the strings are and how long they've been under tension.. and of course the quality of the strings that the manufacturer uses. I have a set of Ernie Ball Slinky's custom gauge nickel wound 10 - 46 strings.. I'm hoping they're good quality.

Well I changed the strings and heres what I found:

1) easier to play

2) better tonal quality throughout - I can now hear the difference between simple G and simple G7 (which I couldn't hear before)

3) clearer more responsive sound - the number 6 E string always "chattered" before which is doesn't do now despite being in tune

4) they feel "smoother" on the fingers and I don't know if thats just perceived or actual

and it was quite easy to do, and for what a packet of strings cost it was well worth it, as who knows how long my guitar had been sitting around in the shop hanging on the wall. Direct from the factory is probably a different story but the feel and "playability" has changed since I swapped them out. And for a ham fisted club fingered 2 week "guitarist" to feel speaks volumes for my particular case.

# 8
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/09/2021 6:37 pm

It definitely sounds like the strings were kaput.

Point 4 - could be actual difference as aged strings can corrode; I once sliced a fingertip sliding 8 frets or so up the neck on a pitted high E string (moral of the story has to be "don't attempt to show off on a friend's badly maintained guitar").

A really nice set I'm currently trying on a Telecaster is D'Addario EPS520 XL Pro Steels Electric, Super Light, 9-42. They give an excellent aggressive tone if I dig in with the pick, but can also give really mellow tones. A bit more expensive than Slinkys but I think worth the extra; I have no idea how long they'll last, though, as they've only been on for a couple of weeks.

They're also the same guage as the original strings on your guitar, so might be worth considering for next restring.

William MG. I completely agree on the quality of strings used by the manufacturer, BTW, and if freshly fitted probably sound like a guitar should :-)

# 9
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 7:15 pm

It definitely sounds like the strings were kaput.

Point 4 - could be actual difference as aged strings can corrode; I once sliced a fingertip sliding 8 frets or so up the neck on a pitted high E string (moral of the story has to be "don't attempt to show off on a friend's badly maintained guitar").

A really nice set I'm currently trying on a Telecaster is D'Addario EPS520 XL Pro Steels Electric, Super Light, 9-42. They give an excellent aggressive tone if I dig in with the pick, but can also give really mellow tones. A bit more expensive than Slinkys but I think worth the extra; I have no idea how long they'll last, though, as they've only been on for a couple of weeks.

They're also the same guage as the original strings on your guitar, so might be worth considering for next restring.

William MG. I completely agree on the quality of strings used by the manufacturer, BTW, and if freshly fitted probably sound like a guitar should :-)

Thanks for that, i had no idea what gauge I had as OEM when i bought this pack of three and I'll definately try the ones you recommend next restring

# 10
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 7:17 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

Thats going to change the feel of the guitar, it comes with high grade 9s. Personally I think your strings are fine from the factory. This is not a cheap guitar you have. Between my son and I we have 4 Yamaha guitars and basses they all came with good strings. And 9s are much nicer to play, imo, than 10s.

Whatever you decide, keep practicing. That's where its at.

thanks for the advice, not knowing what gauge I had from OEM meant it was a bit of a guess about the 10's, but next restring I'll go for a set of quality 9's

# 11
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/09/2021 7:41 pm

Good luck with your practicing, you have a beautiful guitar there.

# 12
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/09/2021 7:55 pm

Good luck with your practicing, you have a beautiful guitar there.

thanks for that, and I'll swap them out for a set of 9's.. advice is always appreciated

# 13
manXcat
manXcat
11/09/2021 8:00 pm

Certainly as recently as product produced through 2019, Yamaha OEM fitment to their PAC612VII and indeed the entire Pacifica range were (still are? -read the last paragraph below) D'Addario EXL .9s.[br][br]That said, there has recently (2021) been a 612V model change from suffix FM to X to the PAC612VII. AFAICT it denotes only a change to the available range of colours to facilitate production and reduce current supply problems. i.e. Solids can be completely electrostatic spray booth paint finished vs the former translucent FMs which require skilled labour hand finishing prone to higher QC fails.

The PAC612V's GraphTech nut is cut to accomodate .9's. Having fitted and tried .10s on my Pacificas over the years, I can affirm they play best with .9s fitted for a multitude of reasons I shalln't elaborate upon here. For reference, I own and play four Pacificas inluding a 612VII FM. [br][br]Re Ernie Ball Slinkys. They are good strings, but [u]characteristically[/u] won't last as long as the D'Addarios [u]before losing their tone[/u] IMPE. D'Addario EXL .9s do work very well on the Pacifica, and have great tone and feel. They suit the instrument well. [br][br]Yamaha currently fit Elixir .10s as OEM to their entire Revstar range. I haven't bought a new Pacifica since 2019, so the OEM may have since changed to Elixir for the suffix X 612V Pacificas as well, although they would still be 9-42s.[br][br]Hope that is of use.

# 14
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/09/2021 8:57 pm

Translation please:. IMPE????

"I Make People Envious", perhaps???? My mistake, it's "I Must Practice Encouragement", as opposed to quoting manufacturers' literature and specs, and telling people they're wrong (including telling someone he'd bought the wrong guitar simply because he owns a type you dislike. I personally think Rickenbacker guitars are ugly but know other people think they're perfect).

As for Slinkys, mine lasted 6m average home playing, 3ish gigging. And I seriously doubt the nut on any sub 1k price guitar is precision cut for a specific guage of string.

In my personal experience, I've swapped guages so often I barely remember what guages my guitars came with. Admittedly, some guage experiments were a total failure, such as 8s on an archtop, but what's life without a little try-it-and-see, eh?

You've previously posted that you are unapologetic, but have you ever stopped to consider that your criticisms could undermine people who have started on a pretty steep learning curve who may already be doubting their potential for learning. As for me, say what you will. I've played in front of audiences whose idea of fun is to drink and threaten bands who can't play their favourite songs, so words from the ether are meaningless IMHO.

# 15
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/09/2021 11:23 pm

I've played in front of audiences whose idea of fun is to drink and threaten bands who can't play their favourite songs

I can share a story with you on this topic. When my son was gigging I told him I had no problem paying to get in, but if the band didn't put on a show I was coming after him for my cover charge back. It worked. The kids earned their money.

# 16
cheaviag
cheaviag
11/10/2021 7:08 am
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Certainly as recently as product produced through 2019, Yamaha OEM fitment to their PAC612VII and indeed the entire Pacifica range were (still are? -read the last paragraph below) D'Addario EXL .9s.[br][br]That said, there has recently (2021) been a 612V model change from suffix FM to X to the PAC612VII. AFAICT it denotes only a change to the available range of colours to facilitate production and reduce current supply problems. i.e. Solids can be completely electrostatic spray booth paint finished vs the former translucent FMs which require skilled labour hand finishing prone to higher QC fails.

The PAC612V's GraphTech nut is cut to accomodate .9's. Having fitted and tried .10s on my Pacificas over the years, I can affirm they play best with .9s fitted for a multitude of reasons I shalln't elaborate upon here. For reference, I own and play four Pacificas inluding a 612VII FM. [br][br]Re Ernie Ball Slinkys. They are good strings, but [u]characteristically[/u] won't last as long as the D'Addarios [u]before losing their tone[/u] IMPE. D'Addario EXL .9s do work very well on the Pacifica, and have great tone and feel. They suit the instrument well. [br][br]Yamaha currently fit Elixir .10s as OEM to their entire Revstar range. I haven't bought a new Pacifica since 2019, so the OEM may have since changed to Elixir for the suffix X 612V Pacificas as well, although they would still be 9-42s.[br][br]Hope that is of use.

Thanks for that, once I found out that 9's were fitted as standard I ordered in a set of D'Addario EXL120-3D Nickel Wound Super Light (9-42), once they've arrived I'll fit them.. and 25 bucks for a set of three is a cheap fix, and will keep the feel that Yamaha intended.

# 17
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/10/2021 8:29 am

I've played in front of audiences whose idea of fun is to drink and threaten bands who can't play their favourite songs

The kids earned their money.

Nice one. Teach them that the audience satisfaction is key.....

# 18
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/10/2021 8:37 am
Originally Posted by: cheaviag
Originally Posted by: manXcat

Thanks for that, once I found out that 9's were fitted as standard I ordered in a set of D'Addario EXL120-3D Nickel Wound Super Light (9-42), once they've arrived I'll fit them.. and 25 bucks for a set of three is a cheap fix, and will keep the feel that Yamaha intended.

But please don't forget that the manufacturer isn't playing your guitar. You are. You'll understand more when you've been playing longer and start to see that the way a guitar leaves the factory, and how you prefer it, are very different things. This also includes the action, but that's an entirely different discussion.

It's your guitar. Your choices. Much of what is written in the forum is opinion, anyway, so judge for yourself. The main thing is to enjoy playing (my opinion). Good luck with the lessons; there are some excellent ones on this site.

# 19
manXcat
manXcat
11/10/2021 8:26 pm
Originally Posted by: cheaviagThanks for that, once I found out that 9's were fitted as standard I ordered in a set of D'Addario EXL120-3D Nickel Wound Super Light (9-42), once they've arrived I'll fit them.. and 25 bucks for a set of three is a cheap fix, and will keep the feel that Yamaha intended.

You're most welcome cheaviag.[br][br]Got a pic of your new Pacifica to post?[br][br]Yamaha intended the Pacifica's to be fitted with .9s, which isn't to say you can't fit .8s or .10s if you personally prefer them, or experiment. To start out with however, .9s work, and work very well on that guitar. The nut on the 612V Pacificas is also default cut for .9s. More on that in a moment in the next paragraph. I have tried .10s on Pacificas in a couple of brands, and always went back to 9s. Not because I'm averse to .10s per se as I run .10s on all my short scale guitars and two Teles.[br][br]Yamaha fit a GraphTech nut default to their mid through top level segment Pacificas. Specifially the 311H, 611H, 611V & 612V series. [u]That fitted nut was designed for and manufactured expressly to fit to those current model Yamaha Pacificas and is cut to fit the .9s fitted default OOTB to production units.[/u] Yes, a custom nut along with complete Seymour Duncan pickup fitout and Grover locking tuners in a sub USD$1000 guitar! [br][br]As current Pacifica necks are all the same profile and dimensions, that nut will also fit their lower segment Urea nut fitted Pacificas with minor adaptation/modification. e.g. 112V. It is not available as an off the shelf prepackaged retail GraphTech accessory item. To buy one as either a replacement or upgrade for a Pacifica, they have to be sourced either through Yamaha as a Yamaha part number or direct request to GraphTech for the Pacifica specific part number who will sell you one. They aren't inventory listed on GraphTech's website nor advertised as a GraphTech nut accessory. That 'hands on experience and first hand familiarity with the instrument' and GraphTech nut information won't be found on any spec. sheet. More than happy to answer from my experience how I know that ....if asked.[br][br]Re your Slinkys. If you're happy with the feel of the .10s, just play them until they die (tonally), unless you want to fit the EXL .9s for a superior playing experience on [u]that[/u] guitar. Slinkys are a nice enough string to play, but they just don't last as long in terms of maintaining tone, to reiterate what I wrote previously, and elsewhere at an earlier time. This is subjective to individual expectation of course, but I'm far from alone in my perspective of [u]that aspect[/u] of Slinkys as a persual of posts #20, 21 (mine) & 22 which can be read here affirm.[br][br]Finally, congratulations on your new instrument. It will serve you well for many years. As you can see, I'm a fan. The 612VII is a superbly appointed and engineered versatile instrument which is a pleasure to play, especially for those with smaller hands. It punches way above its price point 'weight' class in every respect.[br][br]

Here are a couple of superb examples demonstrating its playability. Jack swaps out the pickups in his 612Vs for either EMGs in this instance with the PAC612VIIX, or MAMAS here in the preceding model PAC612VII, but that's just his personal preference. The Seymour Duncan Custom 5 TB-14 fitted OOTB to the entire 61X series characteristically has scooped mids which tends to polarize many players into 'love it or hate it' camps.[br][br]Cheers.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.