My Pick Keeps Slipping

rigamonk
rigamonk
11/09/2021 9:50 am

I have noticed lately that when playing a song with a more aggressive attack on a bunch of chords (Who Do You Love, specifically), my pick slides from a nice position with the pointy end here it should be.

However, after a short while, it slips, and i'm either playing with the side of the pick or my thumb, both of which make it sound like crap.

What is going on, and how do i grip that pick?

Thanks in advance.

# 1
Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
11/09/2021 6:06 pm

I had the same issue and and came across this thread on this forum: https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/thread.php?f=1&t=57615. This was really helpful for me. You might find your answer there. (However, I have to admit that it takes some practice. It doesn't get better immediately )

# 2
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
11/09/2021 6:18 pm

It's a common hurdle. Practice and persistence seem to be the only way to overcome it once you've got the technique right.

Dropping picks will always be a risk, hence players on stage having a mass of spares on the mic stands or wherever :)

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 3
timkuhn1989
timkuhn1989
11/10/2021 5:28 pm
Originally Posted by: rigamonk

I have noticed lately that when playing a song with a more aggressive attack on a bunch of chords (Who Do You Love, specifically), my pick slides from a nice position with the pointy end here it should be.

However, after a short while, it slips, and i'm either playing with the side of the pick or my thumb, both of which make it sound like crap.

What is going on, and how do i grip that pick?

Thanks in advance.

Rigamonk - what types of pick's do you use? Do you often grip your pick by squeezing tightly?

One thing that I've learned over the years is the harder you grip, the more your hands sweat and it becomes slipery, try focusing on relaxing your grip as much as possible. Also try practice spinning the pick in your hand using only thumb and pointer finger like your pinching a braided wire or something (hard to describe the motion) - because you should be able to adjust your pick on the fly using only those two fingers. Additionally you could consider picks that have texture to them. For example I use ErnieBall Prodigy picks and the logo is slightly textured, I use that tactile feeling to know which orientation the pick is facing and to keep it from sliding accross the pad of my thumb. I hope this information helps!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.