How to emphasize some chords in songs

Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
11/07/2021 3:53 pm

Hi, I finished GF1 and I'm taking some time to learn a few songs, before continuing my journey with GF2, and it feels great. I still struggle with some chord changes, but I know how to solve some issues I'm having. However, I'm not really sure how to emphasize certain chords in a song. In Bad Moon Rising, Caren teaches to put an emphasis on beats 2 and 4, but what does it mean? Did I see it correctly that she doesn't play all the strings on beats 1 and 3 and big beautiful strums on all the strings on beat 2 and 4? Or does she play beats 1 and 3 with a lighter touch? I understood that strums 2 and 4 should be played normal and that I should lay back a little bit on beats 1 and 3, but I'm not really sure what this 'laid back strums' really mean. Is there anyone

who can help me out?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
11/08/2021 6:12 pm

This is a great question about rhythm! I would firstly reach out to Lisa via her thread in the forum. This section of the forum is for Full Access subscribers only. There, you can ask this specific question and she will respond directly to you!

In the meantime, you've got it right. Beats 2 and 4 can be full, louder strums. While beats 1 and 3 can be strummed lightly. To help with this, you could try to palm-mute the strings. Rest the pinky side of your palm on the bridge of the guitar (near the sound hole) while you strum, and let the side of your hand dampen the strings ever so lightly. This way, you can have better control of your volume.

Be sure to reach out to Lisa about this!

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.