Changing chords

mojowkng9
mojowkng9
10/29/2021 6:30 pm

Hi I'm a beginner I'm been playing for a month with Lisa...I notice when I change from one simple chord to another I seem to push the neck of the guitar away from me..I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong,any help will be appreciated...thx

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/30/2021 12:06 am

You're basically changing chord using your upper body.

I'm going to assume you're right-handed, so your fretting hand will be your left

All you need to do is concentrate on just moving your fingers, but.....

Chances are you're tucking your left elbow into your body when playing, and holding it fairly stiff - you need to keep your left arm relaxed and elbow away from your body.

You're probably twisting your left wrist when you change chords, or pushing with your forearm to move your left-hand fingers.

Concentrate on just moving your fingers to change chords. You may find your thumb moves a little, but that's ok as long as it isn't pointing to the head of the guitar so that you look like you're hitch-hiking.

Try the chord changes extremely slowly, taking note of how much of your body you're actually moving. The movements should be small, and should just be fingers moving in as short a route as possible to form the next chord.

There is a lot to get used to when learning to play guitar, but if you pay special attention to every little thing from the start, you might be able to avoid picking up bad habits that will be hard to break later down the line.

One of the key things when playing guitar is relaxation.... you need to be relaxed no matter what you're playing (unless you get into advanced Flemenco or classical, in which case you'll need to be able to combine being relaxed with extreme levels of concentration

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
mojowkng9
mojowkng9
10/30/2021 9:02 pm

Thx for the advice

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.