Guitar suggestions idea

Violanted
Violanted
10/06/2021 4:07 pm

Hey All,

I am very new here started around about 2 months ago, and so far is going really well learning foundamental with Lisa, all is going great.

I am piano organ player since 12 years now so I have an understanding music, I play live as keyboard player, on a band that does some Deep Purple covers or some other piece copied or inspired to this band with some Blues inspiration.

Here it comes why learning the guitar, I love it and no matter how long it will take I will go through this long journey. Actually seems that things and learning is going really well and moving fast.

However my guitar model is an Epiphone Les Paul special II Slash. It is really good for the price and end quality. However my hands fingers are really short, example cannot do the spider exercise, anyone that started as beginner this is on the first few lessons of guitar foundamentals. Lisa in one lesson advised if that could be an issue there are guitars with shorter neck and possibly larger fret board since my fingers are little fatty but main concern is to have a shorter neck, anyone can suggest a model?

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
10/06/2021 8:48 pm

I really wish the spider exercise had been better thought out. It seems to be a common issue that new players struggle and think their fingers are too short, or that they struggle with the stretch required.

Try starting from higher up the neck. 7th or 9th fret instead of the first (or even 12th fret), then try lower down the neck after a week or so. As for looking for a guitar with a shorter neck, the difference is only quarter of an inch, so it won't solve your problem.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/06/2021 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Violanted

Hey All,

I am very new here started around about 2 months ago, and so far is going really well learning foundamental with Lisa, all is going great.

I am piano organ player since 12 years now so I have an understanding music, I play live as keyboard player, on a band that does some Deep Purple covers or some other piece copied or inspired to this band with some Blues inspiration.

Here it comes why learning the guitar, I love it and no matter how long it will take I will go through this long journey. Actually seems that things and learning is going really well and moving fast.

However my guitar model is an Epiphone Les Paul special II Slash. It is really good for the price and end quality. However my hands fingers are really short, example cannot do the spider exercise, anyone that started as beginner this is on the first few lessons of guitar foundamentals. Lisa in one lesson advised if that could be an issue there are guitars with shorter neck and possibly larger fret board since my fingers are little fatty but main concern is to have a shorter neck, anyone can suggest a model?

Though that Slash is a great Epiphone guitar, some Les Paul necks can be a bit larger. Though believe that model has what's known for Les Paul's as a 60's slim taper. So another Les Paul might not be the path forward.

You may want to look towards Fender/Squire Stratocaster-type models. A good place to start is learning about different Strat neck profile types. From what you explain, the 'C' style might be a good bet. These can be very comfortable to play if you have smaller hands.

I have average sized hands and have a number of guitars with different profiles and when I jump between them, I notice how that Strat C profile makes it easy to grab a note.

Depending on your budget, you might want to look at the Fender Player series as, for under $1000, a great value and a really quality guitar.

# 3
Violanted
Violanted
10/07/2021 12:28 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: Violanted

Hey All,

Though that Slash is a great Epiphone guitar, some Les Paul necks can be a bit larger. Though believe that model has what's known for Les Paul's as a 60's slim taper. So another Les Paul might not be the path forward.

You may want to look towards Fender/Squire Stratocaster-type models. A good place to start is learning about different Strat neck profile types. From what you explain, the 'C' style might be a good bet. These can be very comfortable to play if you have smaller hands.

I have average sized hands and have a number of guitars with different profiles and when I jump between them, I notice how that Strat C profile makes it easy to grab a note.

Depending on your budget, you might want to look at the Fender Player series as, for under $1000, a great value and a really quality guitar.

Great it is not an urgent request and is not a super problematic issue, I can play even if with some stretching difficulties the current guitar. I want to spend some money on a good guitar even if I am a beginer since my intentions are mnore than serios so there is no doubts about going forward and learning more and more.

Thanks for the advise that was a very useful, I have just upgraded my Organ to a real B3 style Hammond and spent already 3 thousands box so guitar has to wait a little hehehe

Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.