How Good Is Good Enough?

willshep
willshep
07/27/2021 3:05 pm

This is probably an impossible question but I'll ask anyway! As you move through the lessons how do you know when it's time to move on. For example when you learn X or Y and you practice it over and over should you have 100% mastery before progressing or is 90% good enough or 75% or....? It just seems to me that you could end up spending hours and hours perfecting some cord progressions or get reasonably proficient and then move on in the hope that you'll end up doing similar things in the later lessons and improving that way. However the neurotic in me just worries that I'm carrying "issues" with me and they'll eventually catch up and stop me progressing? Any thoughts?

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
07/27/2021 5:13 pm

Hey willshep,

You can think of musical concepts and techniqes as hierarchical (single downstroke picking would be below alternate picking) but you'll ALWAYS double back and improve what you learned before. Even holding your pick can be a lifelong study, for pros! You'll always revisit and re-evaluate earlier ideas and techniques. So don't worry. If you are in this for the long run, just move onto the next idea or technique when you want to.

It also helps to have a one-on-one online lesson (you can get these through GuitarTricks) to help identify weak spots or get tips you might not be aware of.

http://www.guitartricks.com/pro

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/27/2021 7:48 pm

I feel Carl put it best. Just relax, be happy for your accomplishments and keep practicing and make sure its fun, not drudgery.

Good luck

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.