Open to barre chords - barre or fingers first?

song2siren
song2siren
05/11/2021 12:39 pm

Hiya

When learning to change from open to barre chords, how important is it to place the barre first?

I understand that it's generally good practice to get the bottom note in position first for any chord, but for barre chords I'm finding it particularly difficult.

When I place the barre first, my subsequent finger placement will nearly always drag the barre out of position anyway. When I place the fingers first, they seem to act as a good guide for the barre, and pretty reliable, but obviously slower and it just sounds clumsy.

Anyway, realise that ultimately I should be aiming to do the whole movement at once but no idea if my technique is holding me up.

Thanks!

Todd Landers

# 1
SRVFan2000
SRVFan2000
06/06/2021 2:49 pm

I would put the barre down first. Based on what you said, it sounds like the real problem is your mechanics. Square your wrist up more so the rest of the notes do not pull your barre away. Even if you make the barre the other way, the position will be weak. It's probably easiest initially to practice this sitting down, using good posture vs. standing.

# 2
Herman10
Herman10
06/06/2021 11:47 pm

learn the barre chords first to put them down in one go like you did with open chords, if you are comfy with that then start learning to change between open and barre chords.

If you learn to place the barre chords finger by finger, you will never be able to play along with a song on tempo.

# 3
vanrooy.gert
vanrooy.gert
06/13/2021 4:53 pm

My experience is exactly the same as song2siren's. Barre first will automatically draw the index finger up the neck and out of place. So far it works best for me to either place the second finger first, OR 3rd and 4th first, NEVER the barre.

But then, my mechanics are probably terrible and I'm looking for a short-cut. So really, I'm also wondering whether it is best practice, or even an unwritten rule that barre first is the thing to go for - and why?

cheers.

# 4
lauriecampbell1981
lauriecampbell1981
07/21/2021 7:41 am

If you already have your basic open chords down, but are having trouble with barre chords, try fretting your open chords with the same fingers you would use for the barre chord.

For example. Take an open E-major. Normally you would fret it with your index, middle and ring finger. Just move everything down a finger so you are playing the same strings and frets with your middle, ring and pinky finger.

Practice a few songs using open chords with this kind of alternative fingering until it feels fluid. Then you can just take each chord shape, slide it down the neck and add the barre.

Target 401k

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.