Tablature vs Cord

cjefferyjames
cjefferyjames
04/22/2021 4:56 pm

I am just starting out still on Guitar Fundamentals 1. I am hoping someone can explain this to me. When a I print the notation for "Roll Like the Water" the first page is the cords so I am trying to match this page to the tabs and I am confused. On the first page I'll call the cord page on the first line "Otta state plate must be running late" C is noted twice above "Otta" and above "running" which I thought meant 8 strums - 4 times for each C. When I look at the tablature it looks like I should only strum 3 times for that line. Can someone help me out?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/23/2021 12:02 am

Hey & welcome to GT!

Originally Posted by: cjefferyjamesOn the first page I'll call the cord page on the first line "Otta state plate must be running late" C is noted twice above "Otta" and above "running" which I thought meant 8 strums - 4 times for each C. When I look at the tablature it looks like I should only strum 3 times for that line.

When in doubt always refer to the notation & tablature. That will show you exactly what you are supposed to play. The lyric & chord sheet is kind of a short hand version. So it can be helpful to have to remind you of what to play once you already know.

The reason there is a C over "running" is that is the start of a new measure of music. See the C over all the words that start a new measure: "Outta", "running", "driving", "back", etc.

Conversely in traditionally music notation there is no need to restate the same chord in a new measure until you start a new chord or a new line. So, the C is stated over measure 1, then not again until a new line starts (measure 1, 5, 8, etc.).

But here's the important point: look at the notation & tablature. That will show you unequivocally what notes or chords you are supposed to play.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
cjefferyjames
cjefferyjames
04/23/2021 3:08 pm

That is helpful - thanks

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/23/2021 9:40 pm
Originally Posted by: cjefferyjames

That is helpful - thanks

You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
rebeccarobertson121
rebeccarobertson121
07/24/2021 5:18 am

I'm new at guitar and i'm learning chords, i come across two diffrent ways : tabs and notes. I don't have any knowledge about sheet reading and it seems kinda boring. But if thats the better way i can bear to learn it. So with which should i go with ? What do you guys use ? What are pros and cons of both ?

MyLowesLife

# 5
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
07/24/2021 10:45 am

It's a bit like learning to read in general. You can get by without it but you're reliant on what you hear, are shown or are told.

Reading TAB is like learning to read to comic book level, so you rely less on being shown things.

If you learn enough about reading sheet music to understand at minimum what the different dots and squiggles mean, then you would be able to learn to play something just from seeing it on paper if both TAB and MS are shown (as with everything on this site).

If you want full freedom to tackle anything, then learn to read manuscript, but not if it takes away the enjoyment of playing.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.