Are finger strengthener helpful?

johns33031
Full Access
johns33031
Full Access
10/30/2020 2:39 am

Has anyone been helped by those spring loaded finger excesizers?

# 1
Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/30/2020 9:27 am

I have one and I find that it does help me, especially with my weakest fingers, the ring and pinky fingers. I use it throughout the day and as part of my warm up and then I'm much more likely to hit and stay on the strings with those last two fingers. If I skip it and don't use the strengthener I rarely land on those strings correctly starting out.

Something else that is also very helpful and will help you strengthen even more is finger dexterity and strengething exericses on the fretboard. Lisa has spider legs warm up lessons found here... https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12293 I know there are more on here too if you search for finger exercises or strengthening/dexterity, etc. There are also many books on "Finger Gyms" you can find,too. (I just got one and it's full of exercises! I always use some to warm up.)

I'm sure others will have some thoughts and recommendations, too.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/30/2020 3:28 pm
Originally Posted by: johns33031

Has anyone been helped by those spring loaded finger excesizers?

I think to a limited extent those devices can help build strength for beginners. But I doubt they help build dexterity, the fine motor skills you need to develop for guitar playing. And, you want to be careful not to injure yourself with a grip-master thing!

Over the years, I've seen lots of products and methods aimed at improving finger dexterity and strength (etc.) for guitarists. I've seen lots of people try lots of these devices, methods, etc.

By far, the best thing to do in order to improve your skill at playing the guitar is to simply play the guitar.

Finger exercises, squeezing tennis balls, goofing around with those springloaded contraptions will never substitute for hours of actual playing time.

So, give it a try if you want. But be careful with it. You can over do as much damage as you can help yourself with those. Finally, there is no substitute for effective, productive hours logged on your machine of choice.

I have several tutorials aimed at building strength & dexterity.

Building Pinky Strength & Dexterity

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1292

Trill Drills

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1829

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
johns33031
Full Access
johns33031
Full Access
10/30/2020 6:24 pm

Great advice, thanks all!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.