G string issues 😧

tangelosante
tangelosante
07/23/2020 11:28 pm

My g string always sounds so sour open. I have a tuner and I know I'm in the right tuning. Who else experiences this and how do I fix it

# 1
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
07/24/2020 1:45 am

Hi. You could try using the tuner and then doing fine adjustments with your ears until it sounds the way you think it should sound. I tune my G slightly sharp because it sounds right to me when I do that. I also do that with the high E too.

# 2
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
07/24/2020 4:36 am
Originally Posted by: tangelosante

My g string always sounds so sour open. I have a tuner and I know I'm in the right tuning. Who else experiences this and how do I fix it

Hey there -- are you on acoustic or electric? And are you sure it's the tuning and not just the tone of the string? When is the last time you changed your strings? [br][br]

If you want to post or email an audio recording or video you're welcome to, and I'll check it out. carl@guitartricks.com [br][br]Something I've noticed in case this helps: G strings often sound bad! It's because it's too low of a pitch / loose to be an unwound string and too tense when it's a wound string. I think it should be longer in scale. (Some guitars have fanning frets and slanted scale lengths for each string to deal with this, like a harp or piano.) So its tone quality is never quite right. Least favorite string ever... :)

It's a similar problem you get when you tune your Low E to drop D. You get this weird pitch bending down (starting sharp and going flat) thing every time you pick, especially if you pick too hard. It's because the pitch / tension isn't optimum for the length and gauge of string.

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 3
tangelosante
tangelosante
07/24/2020 6:49 am
Originally Posted by: Carl King
Originally Posted by: tangelosante

Hey there -- are you on acoustic or electric? And are you sure it's the tuning and not just the tone of the string? When is the last time you changed your strings? [br][br]

If you want to post or email an audio recording or video you're welcome to, and I'll check it out. carl@guitartricks.com [br][br]Something I've noticed in case this helps: G strings often sound bad! It's because it's too low of a pitch / loose to be an unwound string and too tense when it's a wound string. I think it should be longer in scale. (Some guitars have fanning frets and slanted scale lengths for each string to deal with this, like a harp or piano.) So its tone quality is never quite right. Least favorite string ever... :)

It's a similar problem you get when you tune your Low E to drop D. You get this weird pitch bending down (starting sharp and going flat) thing every time you pick, especially if you pick too hard. It's because the pitch / tension isn't optimum for the length and gauge of string.

-Carl.

Hey Carl, thanks. I just changed the strings yesterday. I have a Ibanez 7-string that now has Ernie Ball Colbalt Power Slinkys. The guitar is a GRG7222 which has a 25 inch scale length and the strings are guaged .011-.052. previously I had Dunlop super brights.

# 4
bevhippy
bevhippy
07/24/2020 12:10 pm

Hi, have you tried a little pencil graphite in the nut slot it acts as a dry lubricant which can help lessen any string binding which can cause tuning and tone issues.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.