D Chord.

wsheldonm1990
Full Access
wsheldonm1990
Full Access
07/22/2020 2:28 pm

Does anyone else have issues with the D Chord? It is circled, cursed at, and explained a few different ways in my notes. I dont know why, but i cannot seem to switch to it from any cord. I am going through the lessons with Lisa and I am stuck at the swap between Em and D. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

# 1
dougreuter
dougreuter
07/22/2020 3:16 pm

It sounds like to me you just need to spend time practicing the D Chord.

The D Chord is my most natural chord and happened on accident. When I started I would always play the D Chord, with Dsus2 (D with open e string) and Dsus4(D with e string fret 3 with pinkie hold original chord). You can create a lot of easy interesting chord progressions with those 3 alone. You can also pluck through them randomly and discover a lot of easy little riffs. Get the pinkie involved early. If you play Em with index on A (5) and middle on D(4) transitioning to D is easier however you should practice it both ways (middle, ring). you can also do a D7 which is like reverse D fret one on B instead three. The sus stuff works with that one too.

Also whenever you hold the guitar fret the chord you find most challenging it makes the shape stick.

Play the just the D chord and sus2 sus4 for awhile then try Em chord. I bet it will be easier.

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/22/2020 3:18 pm

Hi

Did this quick but it should help

Good luck

Em - D

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
07/22/2020 4:55 pm

Nothing to offer but moral support and commiseration. I feel the same way about Dm. I can do all the other open chords in my sleep, but I don't think I've ever successfully reached for a Dm without having to stop and position one finger at a time. There's something about it that's completely nonintuitive for me.

But I will keep trying, and I hope you keep working on D as well. We will prevail.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 4
wsheldonm1990
Full Access
wsheldonm1990
Full Access
07/22/2020 6:02 pm

So what I find absolutely hilarious is that I posted this earlier, then started practicing. I looked at my fingers and realized my nails were in the way. I am a man, so whenever Lisa said there could be an issue with the nails, I always thought that was a tip for women. I never realized that my finger nails were causing me to adjust how I was pressing the strings and making it very awkward to get them into position. I just did sooo much better and that was literally the only thing I changed...

# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/22/2020 7:57 pm
Originally Posted by: wsheldonm1990

So what I find absolutely hilarious is that I posted this earlier, then started practicing. I looked at my fingers and realized my nails were in the way. I am a man, so whenever Lisa said there could be an issue with the nails, I always thought that was a tip for women. I never realized that my finger nails were causing me to adjust how I was pressing the strings and making it very awkward to get them into position. I just did sooo much better and that was literally the only thing I changed...

D was the very first chord I learned on guitar because the first song I learned was Rush-Fly by Night and the first chord of that song is a D. So, had to overcome that quickly! My wife just started playing and sees that chord as a knucklebreaker. It is a weird chord that causes you to intertwine your fingers.

Good that you identified an issue. I mean, to play, I gotta trim my nails all the time. If my nails are tool long and I can tell, it gives me the heebies when I can feel the nail even kinda touch the fretboard. But that's my weirdness.

You'd be surprised how much keeping your nails clipped helps your playing. Sure, it doesn't make you a guitar legend but it is important.

When I was learning Fly by Night way back when (this was 1981ish), I really just started with the D chord and just held it and strummed it so my hand was used to the position. Then I moved to the next chord which most people play as a Cadd9 but I find that Em7 rings truer to the original. Anyway, while my beginner phase was not the worst, I still did it step by step. Get one chord down and then get the next down and then work on the chord change.

It's more fun to learn new songs etc but if your hands are not ready, don't get frustrated, teach them where they go and get them used to it. I've said for a long time on these boards that my beginner phase was easier than most but I also think that I just happened to take an approach that in concept was; to play this riff, what do I need to do? I need to learn D and then learn Em7 (well, then, I did play it as Cadd9). So I learned those tow chords by just strumming them. Then when I was kinda comfortable with them, work on the chord change.

The trick for guitar playing is that you're teaching your fingers where to go. That some times means that you need to stay in one place and get that down and then go on to the next place and do the same.

I still take things apart this way. I was learning a Steely Dan song and had a chord I had never played (A7#9...and it's Steely Dan so.......), I did the same thing I did in 1981...Just played that chord for a while.

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.