When to move to the next lesson

lentucker40
lentucker40
07/01/2020 8:14 pm

Hello Every one. Today marks Canada Day and my 2 month marker following GF 1. I'm working at the 5 chord power pack and I still have not learned the acceptable standard of when to move to the next lesson. Yes, comfort, a few mistakes, etc. However, getting through fast songs like cross the line with errors is my reality. The song is designed to practice the chord transitions. Can anyone advise on an acceptable standard for moving from one lesson to the next? Thanks

# 1
mjgodin
mjgodin
07/01/2020 9:46 pm

Hi len

I think Lisa answered this in her thread, but I'll see if I can shed a little more insight for you. I've been playing for seven months now. I've gone through gf1 &2. Halfway through acoustics and country tracks and up to level 2 of fingerpicking. I am no means an expert in any of it, but I'm moving along at a pace that I'm comfortable with. Sure I make mistakes. Guess what I bet even the advanced players and instructors still flub a note or two. We all have to be our own coaches here. That's the disadvantage I guess to online learning. It's different for everyone. Plus everyone has different aspirations to what they want to achieve here. Only you can decide that.

With regards to chord transitions here's what I do. Look for the songs in the library that say made easy. These songs have been simplified for us beginners and most of them you'll see have the same chords your working on. This way your playing something fun and practicing the very chords your learning. Also you'll be using these chords a lot in future lessons so don't feel that just because you hit complete your done with them. You can always go back. The lessons don't disappear. I say move on at your pace but leave speed out of the equation for now. You'll never play as fast as the instructors. They have been doing this for decades. [br][br]

I hope this helps. Lot of beginners here and this topic comes up a lot. Remember tone over speed. Good luck. [br][br]

Moe

# 2
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
07/02/2020 3:47 am

Moe's advice is very good and it reflects the consensus of a lot of answers to the question. I think if you are starting to wonder if it is time to move forward then it almost surely is indeed time to move forward. On the songs made easy, remember you can slow those down, too. If the lesson says the song is going to be 130 bpm, slow it down to half speed or three-quarter speed and gradually increase it.

Remind yourself that there are no deadlines here, and it is not a race or a competition. Enjoy the journey!

Dave...

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/02/2020 11:59 am

Hi and welcome Len,

what Moe and Dave said.

Good luck with it, it will come together for you.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 4
lentucker40
lentucker40
07/02/2020 11:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your response and help. HAving fun with the Am to D MAjor chord transition. LIsa is an excellent instructor!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.