Left or Right

rider1872
rider1872
06/30/2020 10:42 am

Just starting out with the guitar (about 3 weeks in). The other day a friend told me my guitar was upside down. Should I turn it over and play the other way before I continue lessons? What are the drawbacks?

# 1
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
06/30/2020 1:41 pm

Hey Rider, are you saying you’re left-handed and playing a right-handed guitar flipped over? If so, and you intend to stick with left-handed playing you’d want to either get a left-handed guitar or possibly cheat and string your right-handed guitar as left-handed. It’s not ideal but if it’s an acoustic you might be able to get away with it, even though the nut is also not cut for strings being put on in reverse order. You can possibly convert it for the reverse order, but would probably talk to your local guitar store about that. For the standard setup your heavy strings would go towards the ceiling. Otherwise you’re going to run into all sorts of weirdness in hand-shapes and communication with others if you plan to learn standard guitar stuff. :)

The simplified answer is, if you are left-handed and intend to play that way you should get a left-handed guitar. It will make life much easier. Hope that helps!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.