Question about practice times

DamnLag
DamnLag
12/05/2019 1:02 am

I have just registered for this site after reading a few reviews online. I am 51 and I've always wanted to learn to play the music I love. Metal. I have an extremly demanding job and work 6 days a week (and a minimum of 12 hours perday). I guess my question is, can I get anywhere only spending 30 minutes a day on this? I don't want to pay or waste what little time I have if it's just not enough time to learn anything. I know I'll learn *something*, but I keep hearing from people that I need to practice an hour or two a day to get any good.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/05/2019 2:29 am

You have to put the time in. No way around it. Not to sound harsh, but to repeat what you already know, yes you will learn, and you will learn more with more time in.

But, there isn't much for metal here. More of the fundamentals.

Good luck whatever you do.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2019 5:03 pm

Hi DamnLag,

In my opinion, the most important factor is freuquency of practicing. Can you put in ten minutes a day? And then on some days, try to sneak it some more time?

My reasoning is this: You are training your hands to do all new things they have never done before. The more frequently you remind them of these new moves and skills, even for just a few minutes, the more quickly those moves and skills get absorbed into your 'physical memory', where they become more second-nature.

Of course people who have an hour or two a day have an advantage - but so what.

You want to learn to play, and you have the job that you have, and so it is just a matter of finding a way to allow even just a little time for your music as frequently as possible.

If music feels important to you - then it's totally worth it to work it into your life, even in small doses.

My two cents! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
Joe105
Joe105
12/10/2019 6:57 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Hi DamnLag,

You want to learn to play, and you have the job that you have, and so it is just a matter of finding a way to allow even just a little time for your music as frequently as possible.

If music feels important to you - then it's totally worth it to work it into your life, even in small doses.

My two cents! - Lisa

Ha! More like two dollars. ;) It's good to be reminded of this.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.