Guitar sliding away

Aron Katz
Aron Katz
12/04/2019 4:01 am

Beginner here, I'm struggling with keeping the guitar in place when switching between certain chords for example from simple E to simple C, the neck is slipping away and it makes it quite difficult, i don't have this problem when I go from simple A-minor to simple E I have better control

# 1
Joe105
Joe105
12/04/2019 2:52 pm

Hi Aron,

This is quite a difficult one for me to answer as I can't see how you are presently holding the guitar, obviously.

I had similar problems at the beginning and was getting quite frustrated with it.

Eventually I decided just to go back to the beginning where Lisa shows you how to hold the guitar. With that as a starting point I did a trial and error thing. With strap,without strap, standing, sitting,etc.

What I wanted was for the head of the guitar to be about shoulder height. The neck is then in a good position and the fretting arm and hand are in a relatively straight line and nice and relaxed.

I ended up using a strap whilst sitting with the guitar fairly high high up and the guitar body just lightly touching my thighs. I was able to use this guitar position whilst standing also.

Maybe you could use a similar approach in addressing your probem.

Everybody has a different build and what works well for one might not work for someone else.

If you start by getting the guitar head at the right height and take it from there I hope you will see some improvement in your situation.

Take your time and dedicate a good period in getting it comfortable for yourself.

I hope I may have been some help and given you some pointers towards sorting it out.

Kind regards

Joe

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/04/2019 3:41 pm

Hi Aron

Adding to what Joe has written.

It becomes less noticeable I find with time in. My neck will still walk a bit but I just pull it back in without thinking about it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
Aron Katz
Aron Katz
12/04/2019 3:48 pm

I'm only having this problem when sitting, I'm going to try raising the guitar as joe said.

is gripping the guitar with the palm a good option?

# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/04/2019 3:55 pm

I only grip with myvpalm when I need to wrap my thumb around to mute the E

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
Joe105
Joe105
12/04/2019 3:58 pm

Not really. It restricts your fretting fingers.

# 6
Joe105
Joe105
12/04/2019 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

I only grip with myvpalm when I need to wrap my thumb around to mute the E

+1

# 7
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2019 4:57 pm

Hi Aaron and Joe,

It's great that you are exploring and taking this positioning issue seriously. It will make all the difference in the world once you find the 'sweet spot.'

Joe is spot-on in suggesting a lot of trial-and-result experimentation.

You want to make sure your shoulders and upper body are able to remain as relaxed as possible, so that your hands and wrists and arms are free to do the work of playing the guitar.

This means, watch for hunched shoulders. Watch for clenched jaw. Make sure your posture allows for good relaxed breathing into the belly (no slouching!).

I definitley recommend a strap, as it can do a lot of the work your upper body muscles might be happy to be done with.

The length of the strap, even by an inch or two, can make a difference - so be sure to experiment with that.

Sitting vs. standing makes a big difference too.

If you've watched my lessons, you'll notice I do all several-hundred of them standing up!

I can practice details when I am seated, but for me, I do my best playing while standing up.

Best of luck! - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 8
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
12/11/2019 3:40 pm

I also find that standing is better for singing.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.