What is the correct lesson order?

ravenua
ravenua
09/06/2019 10:10 am

Hey all.

So I'm currently working through GF1. I understand that the progress should go through GF1 > GF2, but the additional even in the beginner section confuse me a lot.

These subfolders are not related to the main progress/map and while the made-easy songs and maintenance is understandable, the "Practice for Beginners" section raises a question: when should I check it out?

Lisa does not seem to mention this. And there are lots of interesting stuff there, not sure when I should look at that though.

I peeked ahead of time to Experienced lessons and it's the same. The main map shows the split between rock, blues and country, but other styles. i.e. acoustic are hidden in the styles category.

Music Theory is god knows where (I accidentally stumbled on its link on these forums) and I am not sure when I should refer to that and where is it actually located.

I hope I'm making some sense. I'd appreciate some explanations. Cheers.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2019 1:11 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! First, a little overview explanation, then I'll address your questions.

[br]There are 3 primary categories of tutorials on GT.

1. Core Learning System. This is an integrated step by step curriculum of lessons that start at absolute beginner. The idea here is to isolate & streamline the cirriculum all in one step-by-step process.

https://www.guitartricks.com/beginner.php

2. Song Catalog. This is all the songs GT has the secured the rights to teach.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

3. Instructor Directories. These are more specialized topics, sometimes organized in sub-categories. You can view the instructors & their specialty here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructors.php

For example, I have over a thousand lesson on various topics, organized by topic or focus. In general, these are for diving deeper into any given concept or technique. They are not necessary per se to the streamlined core learning system, but will help once a student develops more interest in a certain style or technique.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=155014

Lisa also has tons of other lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=311296

We encourage all beginners to work through the Fundamentals courses, then the style course of their choice. If your knowledge & skill level is beyond the Fundamentals material, then skip to the styles!

At any level you should look for songs you enjoy, want to play & are close to your skill level.

Most importantly, if you have a question about a certain topic, or how to do some skill, please ask! The GT database of lessons is enormous! That's one reason the forum is here, to help you find the resources you desire.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2019 1:20 pm

Answering specific questions!

Originally Posted by: ravenuaSo I'm currently working through GF1. I understand that the progress should go through GF1 > GF2, but the additional even in the beginner section confuse me a lot.[/quote]

I'm not sure what "but the additional even in the beginner section confuse me a lot" means. What is additional are you referring to?

[quote=ravenua]

These subfolders are not related to the main progress/map and while the made-easy songs and maintenance is understandable, the "Practice for Beginners" section raises a question: when should I check it out?

[p]How & what to practice is important, & Lisa does cover it in her GF1 course, Chapter 2, tutorial 5.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1781

But there is another, stand alone tutorial by Caren that goes a little deeper into the process & from a slightly different angle. I would view the Caren tutorial after the Lisa one. But it's not necessary, only if you have more questions about practice or are curious. Or think your practice routine could use a little polishing. However, for the purposes of absolute beginner learning, Lisa's is fine. Just follow the course!ess!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/06/2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by: ravenuaI peeked ahead of time to Experienced lessons and it's the same. The main map shows the split between rock, blues and country, but other styles. i.e. acoustic are hidden in the styles category.[/quote]

The acoustic guitar is included in places of each style as it relates to that style. There are other acoustic guitar tutorials that dive deeper into other concepts & techniques.

[quote=ravenua]

Music Theory is god knows where (I accidentally stumbled on its link on these forums) and I am not sure when I should refer to that and where is it actually located.

[p]Great topic!

If you follow one of the courses (Fundamentals or Style Courses), you will get the appropriate amount of theory along with the application all integrated together. It's important to keep your theoretical learning & knowledge on par with & at the same level as your physical skills & practical applications.

If one outpaces the other, then you have an unbalanced situation. Either you can play things that you don't fully understand or know how to use, or how they work. Or you know concepts that you can't apply & have no practical use for.

Having said that, I have a lot of tutorials aimed at covering music theory in great depth & detail. But, they depend a great deal on skill level, desired style & goals. But the important point now is that they are beyond the scope of the beginner cirriculum.[br][br]

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/music-theory

The point here is that music theory is a big topic! :) So, it's best to know your skill level & area of focus, or goals in order to point you in the right direction.

Almost every tutorial contains some theory, at least enough to understand & explain how & why the lesson content is being taught. And the courses are a great way to accomplish that.

For now, be assured that as a beginner the best path is through the fundamentals courses & learning songs! Hope that helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
bryam9
bryam9
06/29/2020 8:50 pm

Thanks for these useful links as I am a beginner too!

# 5
DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
07/01/2020 12:56 am

It's a bot, Herman. These always show up as a Registered User with today's date as their start date. You'll see 1 post and they are gone.

It could probably be prevented by not allowing links to be included until someone has posted 5 messages and/or been registered for 10 days.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

# 6
Herman10
Herman10
07/01/2020 3:10 am

Thanks Dave ,knew that to but it's anoying anyway. I once was with another forum that at a given moment was completely took over by a bunch of people chatting only with each other making appointments to hold flash mobs somewhere and that only stopped when you had to register and pay the anual fee to get acces to the forum, maybe some idea for GT to?

# 7
jettgeek6
jettgeek6
07/31/2020 5:55 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

If you follow one of the courses (Fundamentals or Style Courses), you will get the appropriate amount of theory along with the application all integrated together. It's important to keep your theoretical learning & knowledge on par with & at the same level as your physical skills & practical applications.

If one outpaces the other, then you have an unbalanced situation. Either you can play things that you don't fully understand or know how to use, or how they work. Or you know concepts that you can't apply & have no practical use for.

Having said that, I have a lot of tutorials aimed at covering music theory in great depth & detail. But, they depend a great deal on skill level, desired style & goals. But the important point now is that they are beyond the scope of the beginner cirriculum.[br][br]

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/music-theory

The point here is that music theory is a big topic! :) So, it's best to know your skill level & area of focus, or goals in order to point you in the right direction.

Almost every tutorial contains some theory, at least enough to understand & explain how & why the lesson content is being taught. And the courses are a great way to accomplish that.

For now, be assured that as a beginner the best path is through the fundamentals courses & learning songs! Hope that helps. Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher,

These paragrahps were an epiphone to me!

I've always been concerned that my music theory knowledge was severely lacking, but by putting it in context of playing skill level, it gives a whole different level of understanding in the way the courses are organized and presented.

I'm glad I read this thread!

Thank you!

# 8
debwang100
debwang100
08/02/2020 5:29 pm

Hi Everyone!

Thank you for this forum....

I have finished GF1 and GF2 and started some of the Styles courses. Thanks to Guitar Tricks I feel like I have a good foundation.

I'd like to learn more songs, but there sometimes seems like a big jump from being able to play the beginner songs to the more intermediate songs. I don't know where to learn the skills to bridge the gap. I suppose that I could do a search for the skill, but sometimes I don't even know what skill I'm actually missing.

After GF! and GF2 would there ever be an Intermediate/Advanced course?

# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/02/2020 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by: jettgeek6

These paragrahps were an epiphone to me!

I've always been concerned that my music theory knowledge was severely lacking, but by putting it in context of playing skill level, it gives a whole different level of understanding in the way the courses are organized and presented.

I'm glad I read this thread!

Thank you!

Glad it helped!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/02/2020 6:26 pm

Congrats on finishing GF 1 & 2!

Originally Posted by: debwang100

I'd like to learn more songs, but there sometimes seems like a big jump from being able to play the beginner songs to the more intermediate songs. I don't know where to learn the skills to bridge the gap. I suppose that I could do a search for the skill, but sometimes I don't even know what skill I'm actually missing.[/quote][p]This is a great question. Usually the skill or idea is described in the context of the song lesson. So if you can identify it that way, then you ask in the forum. Or if you simply mention the song in a forum post & the timestamp in the song, then that will help us point you in the right direction to learn that skill or idea.

[quote=debwang100]After GF! and GF2 would there ever be an Intermediate/Advanced course?

That's essentially what the style courses are. After that skills & ideas get very specialized & it's hard to put that all into a generalized course.

That's one reason the forum is so important & I encourage GT students to use it to ask questions!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 11
volodymyrfilonencko

volodymyrfilonencko

12/16/2020 8:29 am

thank you very much for the recommendations, it's very helpful for me!

# 12
bojo2112jon
bojo2112jon
03/16/2021 2:11 pm

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs.php

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.