Beginner Lessons - Rock level 1 - Soloing..

scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
07/30/2019 4:35 am

Hello everyone!

I'm reaching out to ask about how I should approach my practicing going forward.

Prior to joining guitar tricks, I've been messing around with guitars since high school. However, I wasn't able to afford lessons until just recently when I finished college. In other words, just about everything I've learned from the guitar over the last several years has been from putting it in my hands, messing around with it, maybe looking up tabs here and there. So for a guitar player that started 10 years ago, I'm definitely not impressive by any means.

I'm about 70% through the Rock level 1 course for beginners. I've been studying and practicing its materials over the last 2, maybe 3 months, so I've definitely taken my time with it. I am beyond satisfied with how well my rhythm guitar is coming along. I actually have 110% confidence when it comes to playing any rhythmic parts from the lessons.

On the other hand, my soloing still needs work. But I will say that soloing is an entirely new concept to me (as opposed to rhythm guitar), so the fact that I can do it at all over the course of 2 or 3 months is actually quite an achievement as far as I'm concerned. But I'm simply not as adept with it as I am with rhythm guitar.

For those familiar with the Rock level 1 course for beginners, it has 2 main practice tunes in the chapter covering riffs, hooks, licks, and themes. I am getting so close to having the solos in both of those songs down, but I still have at least one mistake every time I attempt them up to speed.

I feel like I've been stuck practicing those two solos for the last couple of weeks and am starting to get bored. So what should I do? Should I simply proceed with the remainder of the course and revisit soloing afterwards? Or should I take a different approach?

Thanks in advance,

-Scott

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
07/31/2019 5:19 pm

Hi scottrpileggi,

It actually sounds like you're pretty great at practicing. You're doing all the right things, you're going slow, you're repeating lessons, and working your way through so that you can play with the backing tracks in time.

The biggest issue seems like you're getting tired of the same thing, over and over again. I always recommend taking a break from the courses, and jump into a song lesson. Song lesson are so great at reinvigorating your love of playing.

I suggest going to the songs section and finding a song you like and learn how to play it.

What do you think?

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/31/2019 7:58 pm

Hey & welcome to GT! Thanks for the background info. That really helps point students in the right direction.

Originally Posted by: scottrpileggi

On the other hand, my soloing still needs work. But I will say that soloing is an entirely new concept to me (as opposed to rhythm guitar), so the fact that I can do it at all over the course of 2 or 3 months is actually quite an achievement as far as I'm concerned. But I'm simply not as adept with it as I am with rhythm guitar.[/quote]

This is an excellent self-assessment. And it makes sense. You will be good at what you practice. It simply indicates that you need to be patient & spend more time getting lead guitar skills fully automated.

[quote=scottrpileggi]

I feel like I've been stuck practicing those two solos for the last couple of weeks and am starting to get bored. So what should I do? Should I simply proceed with the remainder of the course and revisit soloing afterwards? Or should I take a different approach?

Settle in. :) It will take time. Developing lead guitar skills is something you will do for the rest of your life, for as long as you play guitar.

Be patient with yourself. If these skills & ideas are new to you, then you'll need much more time to make them second nature. The only thing that will get you there is repetitious practice. So you are doing the right thing. Just keep going!

I encourage you to continue on through the course. That will keep things interesting. But at the same time, make time to go back over every previous lesson until you can get those skills & ideas fully under you command.

You might also enjoy this article on lead guitar playing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/how-to-play-a-guitar-solo

Hope this helps! Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
09/22/2019 3:19 am
Originally Posted by: Guitar Tricks Admin

Hi scottrpileggi,

It actually sounds like you're pretty great at practicing. You're doing all the right things, you're going slow, you're repeating lessons, and working your way through so that you can play with the backing tracks in time.

The biggest issue seems like you're getting tired of the same thing, over and over again. I always recommend taking a break from the courses, and jump into a song lesson. Song lesson are so great at reinvigorating your love of playing.

I suggest going to the songs section and finding a song you like and learn how to play it.

What do you think?

I took your advice and learned 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Strats (You guys need that in your lesson library btw. it's a classic!) I always try to learn stuff by ear before I look up a tutorial, but the main riff in that song is so peculiar to my ear that I couldn't quite figure it out on my own.

Long story short. Learned it, had a blast playing it, and have also found that the further I've progressed in your beginner Rock courses, the more fun the practice songs start to become.

I just completed Beginner Rock level 1 and am actually impressed with how far I've come over just a few months. Really excited to dive into the level 2 course.

PS, soloing is definitely getting better,still sounds a little cheesy and sloppy but I'm definitely noticing progress. just takes time!

# 4
scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
09/22/2019 3:20 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey & welcome to GT! Thanks for the background info. That really helps point students in the right direction.

Originally Posted by: scottrpileggi

On the other hand, my soloing still needs work. But I will say that soloing is an entirely new concept to me (as opposed to rhythm guitar), so the fact that I can do it at all over the course of 2 or 3 months is actually quite an achievement as far as I'm concerned. But I'm simply not as adept with it as I am with rhythm guitar.[/quote][p]This is an excellent self-assessment. And it makes sense. You will be good at what you practice. It simply indicates that you need to be patient & spend more time getting lead guitar skills fully automated.

[quote=scottrpileggi]

Settle in. :) It will take time. Developing lead guitar skills is something you will do for the rest of your life, for as long as you play guitar.

Be patient with yourself. If these skills & ideas are new to you, then you'll need much more time to make them second nature. The only thing that will get you there is repetitious practice. So you are doing the right thing. Just keep going!

I encourage you to continue on through the course. That will keep things interesting. But at the same time, make time to go back over every previous lesson until you can get those skills & ideas fully under you command.

You might also enjoy this article on lead guitar playing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/blog/how-to-play-a-guitar-solo

Hope this helps! Best of success!

Thanks for writing, Christopher! I'll check out that article! Definitely gonna go over the Soloing 101 section once more as well.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.