Power Chords

liz.the.bo
liz.the.bo
07/27/2019 1:30 pm

Hi,

I am a very new guitar player (4 weeks) currently working my way through guitar fundamentals 2, i have not had any issues with making the normal chords so far. but i find those power chords almost impossible to get into position for, my fingers won't stretch that far, my wrist hurts and once i am in position on one chord there is no way i am moving to another one any time soon! They also sound dreadful because i am playing with awful tone or my first finger is sneaking across into the neighbouring fret. I don't think there is any issue with my hands, i'm a surgeon, so pretty dextrous normally! Lisa makes it look so easy, has anyone else experienced this? Does it get better with practice? i'm dreading Barre chords already.

Liz

# 1
BeachBill
BeachBill
07/27/2019 1:39 pm

Yes, it does get easier with practice. Just don't overdo something if it causes pain - take that in little steps. I am old (started getting serious about playing at age 69) - with joints and muscles that show my age - but I am having fun and seeing progress all the time. Bar chords caused my fingers to cramp up after one song but now I can do several without a problem.

# 2
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/27/2019 2:42 pm

Maybe a smaller guitar could help.

I found that practicing the chord form, when I didn't have a guitar in hand, was helpful. I worked at first conceptulaly picturing the chord in my mind while I was doing other things, like watching tv, listening to the radio, or any time I had the inclination. Then I worked to get my fingers to grab those shapes in the air. Just concentrating on forming my fingers into chord shapes. Lastly I started playing them on the fretboard.

I think the air guitar pratice got all the other stuff (holding the strings, holding the right strings, not muting the wrong strings...)out of my way. This allowed me to focus on the muscle memory that formed the chords. You need this muscle memory to be able to change chords quickly. In fact you need to be able to change your finger positions in the milisecond between chords, so that your fingers just land in the right place. You brain is not the right neuron group to depend on here. You need to get your spine on board. The above exercise helped me with developing this skill.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 3
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
07/28/2019 12:44 am
Originally Posted by: liz.the.bo

Hi,

I am a very new guitar player (4 weeks) currently working my way through guitar fundamentals 2,

Liz

You have been playig 4 weeks and you are in guitar fundamentals 2!!!!! You went through Guitar Fundamentals 1 in less than 4 weeks?!?!?!?

Wow!

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.