Melody playing can you use your pick up?

sbornstein7203
sbornstein7203
07/18/2019 12:53 am

Hello.

I am doing the G Major scale up and down and I seem to be comfortable as I hit the notes picking up and down, is that not something I should do and always pick going down the string? I feel like I have better control and speed when using up and down the strings?

Thanks really enjoying the course from Lisa.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/18/2019 1:26 am

Hi, you might want to post this in Lisa's section, it will have a better chance of her seeing it.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
sbornstein7203
sbornstein7203
07/18/2019 2:00 am

thanks I did not know she had her own section thank you

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/18/2019 1:15 pm
Originally Posted by: sbornstein7203

Hello.

I am doing the G Major scale up and down and I seem to be comfortable as I hit the notes picking up and down, is that not something I should do and always pick going down the string? I feel like I have better control and speed when using up and down the strings?

Lisa is always so helpful.

There is a short answer to your question; picking upwards and downwards is not a problem at all. It's called alternate picking. That is to say; alternating between up and down strokes. As a matter of fact, it is a recommended method of picking consectutive notes when playing solos etc. There is an economy of movement in doing this and helps you play more smoothly?

Is alternate picking a hardwired 'rule'? No. It's just a good practice for a lot of different things you do when you're playing. It is one of the picking tools you have but it is an important tool. You will learn as you go that while learning scales makes alternate picking make sense, when you learn solos to songs, players will vary picking techniques. It's not really how the player thought out the solo so much as when playing or creating the solo, the player just applied one technique or another or both are all in a way that felt natural.

If you're practicing scales and alternate picking them? Good job!

# 4
sbornstein7203
sbornstein7203
07/19/2019 3:45 pm

Cool thanks Jeff. I am 47 years old taking it up but really enjoying it. In my younger years I got too frustrated and gave up quickly now I am more calm about it and I will learn from my mistakes as I go. I am practicing the up and down scales 5 string currently with the beginner sessions but waiting for my new fender guitar to get here as I am using a friends and the neck is to big for me it's an old full classic with large neck so went for a concert style I will enjoy playing more. Thanks for the advice appreciate it we are all rookies at everything we do at one point in our lives :)

Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: sbornstein7203

Hello.

Lisa is always so helpful.

There is a short answer to your question; picking upwards and downwards is not a problem at all. It's called alternate picking. That is to say; alternating between up and down strokes. As a matter of fact, it is a recommended method of picking consectutive notes when playing solos etc. There is an economy of movement in doing this and helps you play more smoothly?

Is alternate picking a hardwired 'rule'? No. It's just a good practice for a lot of different things you do when you're playing. It is one of the picking tools you have but it is an important tool. You will learn as you go that while learning scales makes alternate picking make sense, when you learn solos to songs, players will vary picking techniques. It's not really how the player thought out the solo so much as when playing or creating the solo, the player just applied one technique or another or both are all in a way that felt natural.

If you're practicing scales and alternate picking them? Good job!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.