Crestfallen here, left hand not cooperating

byronandmarina
byronandmarina
07/10/2019 6:46 pm

I am brand-spanking new to the guitar even though my brother is a classical guitarist of renown in my native Brazil and in Europe. As a child, the guitar was forbidden to us girls and I played the violin. I thought the transition would be easy. It is not. I have rheumatoid arthritis. This is an autoimmune disorder and has nothing to do with age... even though I am no pup. While I do not have much damage to my hands, I am having a terrible time positioning my left hand correctly even when the instructor shows me the correct positioning and even attempts to put my very sore hands in place. I am beginning to think that this may have something to do with wrist flexibility. My last lesson yesterday made me feel so depressed, I am beginning to think this is a pipe dream. Anyone here with physical limitations? How did you get past it?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/11/2019 12:13 am

Hi and welcome

Speaking from experience, arthritis is complicated. I do what I can when I can.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
neil.sklar
neil.sklar
07/11/2019 3:54 am

Might a physical (or occupational?) therapist be able to help you regain some of the dexterity that you've lost to the rheumatoid arthritis?

# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/11/2019 1:36 pm
Originally Posted by: byronandmarina

I am brand-spanking new to the guitar even though my brother is a classical guitarist of renown in my native Brazil and in Europe. As a child, the guitar was forbidden to us girls and I played the violin. I thought the transition would be easy. It is not. I have rheumatoid arthritis. This is an autoimmune disorder and has nothing to do with age... even though I am no pup. While I do not have much damage to my hands, I am having a terrible time positioning my left hand correctly even when the instructor shows me the correct positioning and even attempts to put my very sore hands in place. I am beginning to think that this may have something to do with wrist flexibility. My last lesson yesterday made me feel so depressed, I am beginning to think this is a pipe dream. Anyone here with physical limitations? How did you get past it?

Do you use a strap? If not, I definately suggest doing so. I've been playing for decades and always practice with a strap.

Why? I can control the guitar's height. While playing with the guitar in the lap is mostly fine, I've found that with a strap, the guitar is exactly where I want it for maximum comfort.

It might well be that in your lap, the guitar is too low so when you are trying to fret a chord, you're having to bend your wrist around the neck in an unnatural way. Puttin on a strap and hiking the guitar up higher on your torso might make the wrap arounf the neck more comfortable. The less you bend your wrist, the better and hiking the instrument will help you straighten the bend angle of your wrist.

At least something to think about.

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/17/2019 9:18 pm

Ouch, so sorry for the frustration and pain!

Yes, using a strap, and experimenting with your body-postion as it relates to the guitar is a great idea. You might even try (with a strap) playing standing up. Or, playing while supportin your body on a tall stool. Playing on a higher, or a lower, chair. Some folks like to riase one of their feet up, maybe using a yoga block or a box (4 - 6 inches or so?)

Not sure where you are at in terms of what you are studying here on GuitarTricks, and what you are learning with a teacher - but my Fundamentals 1 Course is designed to ease your hands into the kind of angles, stretch, and strength they need to play without pain.

Even if your skill level is beyond Fundamentals 1, you might visit the progression of lessons with the idea that it is designed to gently train and open up your hand and wrist muscles and joints.

One last thing - the size and condition of your guitar can make a huge difference. If the action is too high, you're having to work way too hard to play the chords. If the guitar is too big for your physical frame, it puts your shoulders and elbows and wrists into positions that may be contributing to your difficulties.

Find what you can play that does not cause pain (another plug for the super-easy stuff in Fundamentals 1), and stay with that for a while.

Nice and easy, nice and slow.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
byronandmarina
byronandmarina
07/30/2019 1:14 pm

Thank you, everyone, for some great ideas! I have not given up. When I met with my teacher yesterday, he gently walked me through positioning my guitar properly, gave me some additional stretches to use, and told me that it will all kick in one day. So I have to be prepared to sound horrible, LOL, for a while. This is not going to be an overnight thing. Meantime, the grandkids who live with me kept wanting to play with my guitar. Not good. All three now have ukeleles and are learning to play. They are far more open and don't care how they sound. I am taking their strategy and applying it to my own practice. It is a noisy but happy house.

# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/30/2019 1:48 pm

That's awesome! I love the part of the kids not caring - just doing!

I am in your boat, I sound aweful. But continue onwards regardless!

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 7
byronandmarina
byronandmarina
07/30/2019 6:33 pm

Thanks all for the encouragement. :)

# 8
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/06/2019 5:58 pm

Yes!! Be like the kids! That is true wisdom!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.