Metronome

sizanbandhan
Full Access
sizanbandhan
Full Access
06/15/2019 3:54 am

So I've been using the metronome to focus on chord changes and playing scales. How do I use the metronome to learn a certain song? lets say I know the song is 145 bmp. Take this tune for example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW2lQV6z05M . How does one use a metronome to learn that tune? how would I break up a song and learn it with a metronome?

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/16/2019 2:34 am

Hi. First I have to say I am a novice, so take this for what its worth.

I plugged the url into a loop and just started messing with a D scale. Seemed to fit to my ears. The piece, which is beautiful btw, seems expressive to my ears. So what I am saying is that when I played over it, I stayed within D and kind of felt my way along, meaning I didn't stick to a rigid bpm.

Hope this helps.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
sizanbandhan
Full Access
sizanbandhan
Full Access
06/16/2019 3:55 am

My main question is when should I use a metronome? For example, its hard to use a metronome on tab music due to no rhythm... What purpose does a metronome serve?

# 3
Simon Keyes
Simon Keyes
06/16/2019 4:44 am

helps me out when i want to practice my chord changes and strimming patterns if i find that i'm struggling to keep up with Lisa's pace in the song practices.

by using the metronome, i can start off slow and graxdually build up pace and accuracy.

i've found it to be a fundemental part of my practice.

i use this :

https://www.imusic-school.com/en/tools/online-metronome/

# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/16/2019 3:36 pm
Originally Posted by: sizanbandhanSo I've been using the metronome to focus on chord changes and playing scales. How do I use the metronome to learn a certain song? lets say I know the song is 145 bmp.

The purpose of a metronome is to give you an external, objective reference indicating steady time. It's important to develop an internal clock or sense of time passing so when you play music you can keep a steady pulse happening.

A metronome helps you know when the beat or pulse is so you can gauge how well you are doing at that skill.

It's especially helpful when you are learning a new skill, technique or song, because you might be more focused on the physical motions you have to make & not notice that you are slowing down or speeding up. You might not realize that you are not keep consistent time. The metronome will let you know if you are doing that or not because it doesn't care if you having a hard time getting some part of it right. It just keeps on ticking away at a consistent tempo. :)[br][br]

If you can play along with a song or a backing track, then you don't really need the metronome to learn it. Using a metronome can help if you are having trouble playing part or all of the song up to speed. Or if you are having trouble keeping with the rhythm of the song.

Set the metronome to a slower tempo than the song. Slow enough that you can play along. Then play the song or song parts at that slower tempo until you can get it right. Gradually, incrementally increase the metronome tempo over the course of as many practice sessions as necessary until you can play the song or song parts up to the full tempo of the song.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.