Stuck on E minor to D Major Transition Lessons

stevechristian1
stevechristian1
05/07/2019 12:12 am

I need some help. I’ve been stuck on the “Begin Again” song E minor to D major transition for at least 3 weeks now. I practice 30min-1hour 5-6 times a week but have gotton stuck and just can’t get the transition down. I can play E minor just fine, I can play D major just fine most of the time, but I can’t put the two together. Any advice on how to get past being stuck on a transition for weeks on end? It feels like an insurmountable barrier at the moment.

Also, it is normal to spend weeks on end attempting a single chord transition or am I just going about practicing in an inefficient way?

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
05/09/2019 5:14 pm

Hi stevechristrian1,

Transitioning from an E minor to a D major is pretty tough at first because the two chords don't share any finger placements. When this happens, the only advice I can offer is to play switch to and from these chords slowly and just keep doing it until your muscle builds some memory.

Don't even worry about strumming the chords, just worry about your fretting hand moving from one chord to the next. Start slow and see if you can get the transition down, and then ramp up speed as you practice it more.

-Billy

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
05/10/2019 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: stevechristian1

Any advice on how to get past being stuck on a transition for weeks on end? It feels like an insurmountable barrier at the moment.

Also, it is normal to spend weeks on end attempting a single chord transition or am I just going about practicing in an inefficient way?

Hi stevechristian1

"Normal"? Hmmm.... Everyone learns at their own rate, and it's OK to be slower than a average, ...if that's how you perceive yourself? True or false, perhaps because of the way we are using the tools or energy we are putting into the swing of the axe required when we are truly determined to get the job done.

Using "three weeks" as a datum is like asking how long is a piece of string. How individuals determine time on task, and how they apply it definitely varies wildly IMV, and that's before application of exaggeration to which most of us are prone which similarly varies according to the individual personality.

According to the mean of your estimate, you practise under 4 hours (3.85hrs) per week. Over 3 weeks, assuming no exaggeration that's a total of 11½ hours approximately. It's doubtful you spent that entire time just on those Em-D-Em transitions, but If so, then yes, IME you should have achieved a [u]reasonable[/u] competency transitioning between them by now even if not necessarily at the tempo or even in perfect timing with the song's rhythm.

As Billy said in his post, there is no common finger string connection so the each change requires a complete liftoff and landing. Watch the lesson again taking particiular note to see if or where you might be misapplying the required taught technique.

That said, it sounds to me most like you really just need to take a step back and focus on those specific chord changes, reviewing as you are now where you might be setting up a roadblock for yourself, before reapplying yourself to accomplishing the transitional goals by changing back and forth [u]over[/u] and [u]over[/u] and [u]over[/u] and [u]over[/u] to the accompaniment of a measurable set datum like a metronome.

Start slowly at a speed you can comfortably do at first, and work toward the speed you want to accomplish increasing incrementally as each speed setting becomes a piece of cake. Focus on body English, hand & thumb form, and importantly accurate finger placement and landing order, and ultimately melding it all together into smooth actions. It will start to become reflex with repetition so you will find youself doing them subconsciously without thought before too long. Do maintain a positive "can do" frame of mind, and don't worry or overthink it. Best you cast off the is it/am I "normal" personal comparitive and just focus on the task instead.

Do ensure you [u]actively[/u] [u]apply[/u] yourself 100% mentally and physically to that task in what is really just a few minutes of the day you're practising, and do so for a focussed half-hour at least every second day minimum [u]consistently[/u] rain, hail or shine. The competency will develop.

And here's an amazing tip I'll share which I've discovered about the body's malleability [u]learning guitar in the particular[/u]. I've found that, that if I apply myself to learning something tactile, a new lick, riff, scale, chord et al, then sleep on it, the next day whatever it is I attempted or did at the previous attempt is easier, tactilely improved, smoother. The mind body relationship seems to process the previous experience to subliminally retain the info, learnt from it so that the fingers now comply with its (your) will with increased instinctivity. I can't explain it any better than that really other than to say the symbiotic relationship between the mind, intervals of rest, and subsequent muscle memory retention has become overtly noticeable and obvious to me in my learning path over the past 18 months.

GL with it. You will get there.

# 3
stevechristian1
stevechristian1
05/14/2019 10:40 am

Thanks all for the advice. More than anything, I have taken a step back to focus just on the transition and not concerning myself with strumming. It is coming along now and I’m getting the transition down consistently. Going to spend a few more sessions focused on the transition at a faster rhythm and then reintroduce strumming. Thanks all for the help!

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/21/2019 12:45 pm

Sounds like a good plan. It will be good to get this chord change under your belt. Make sure you are using all the tools and suggestions I offer in the lessons. Then, slow, slow, slow, slow.

And have fun with the process. Those are two very pretty sounding chords - and you can play them! Enjoy that aspect as well.

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
linda.arch
Full Access
linda.arch
Full Access
07/20/2021 4:53 pm

I am having difficulty with that transition as well. The move from D major to E minor is fine, but when I move in the other direction from E minor to D major, I can't seem to put my three fingers on the frets simultaneously. I keep getting behind at that point.

# 6
Sore.fingers
Sore.fingers
08/14/2021 10:18 am

Yep. This one is tough. I’m also struggling. I slowed down a lot and I’ll speed up later.

# 7
LynnS1951
LynnS1951
08/20/2021 2:52 am

This is interesting. I've had trouble timing several of the changes in Begin Again. I didn't think it had anything to do with the difficulty of the transition. If I just count the time aloud (one-and-two-and) everything is perfect, but if I'm trying to sing the lyrics, sometimes it seems like Lisa's chord change comes too soon. Anyway I've had Begin Again in my daily practice for two months and just yesterday I decided to shelve it and focus on the songs in various keys, some of which you'd think would be much harder than Begin Again, but they aren't.

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.