The old folks' beginners thread

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > The old folks' beginners thread

pwshvr

Full Access

Originally Posted by: ccangia

The chances of me becoming a rock star at this point are pretty poor.

You never know! There are so many musicians and bands that are just now starting to come out with new music again in their later years.

The chances of me becoming a rock star at this point are pretty poor.

You never know! There are so many musicians and bands that are just now starting to come out with new music again in their later years.

pwshvr

Full Access

49 here. I have been a guitar hack since my teens and finally decided that I want to know what I am playing and why. I have a pretty good ear but knowing the chords and scales is what I am interested in these days.

49 here. I have been a guitar hack since my teens and finally decided that I want to know what I am playing and why. I have a pretty good ear but knowing the chords and scales is what I am interested in these days.

sgautier8th

Full Access

Originally Posted by: Simon
Originally Posted by: sgautier8th

Keep working those Fundamentals, they pay off big time down the road.

regarding theory, how much are we exposed too in the fundamental series ?

In my opinion, and we are all beginners here (I think), A LOT. I strummed a few songs in college and a little after, but never learned any theory and my guitar growth was stunted. Lisa does a phenomenal job of weaving in theory in Fundamentals, without overwhelming you (though it did seem overwhelming at times, but push through and it will be brief).

I am now 4 and 1/2 months "in" to GT - finished F1 and F2 and I'm pretty far into Blues1 and Country1. The REALLY COOL thing is that I can now jump around on YouTube and find stuff and it all makes sense and is easy to pick up BECAUSE I understand the fundamentals and have the benefit of lots of practice at the fundamentals.

Keep strumming !

Originally Posted by: Simon
Originally Posted by: sgautier8th

Keep working those Fundamentals, they pay off big time down the road.

regarding theory, how much are we exposed too in the fundamental series ?

In my opinion, and we are all beginners here (I think), A LOT. I strummed a few songs in college and a little after, but never learned any theory and my guitar growth was stunted. Lisa does a phenomenal job of weaving in theory in Fundamentals, without overwhelming you (though it did seem overwhelming at times, but push through and it will be brief).

I am now 4 and 1/2 months "in" to GT - finished F1 and F2 and I'm pretty far into Blues1 and Country1. The REALLY COOL thing is that I can now jump around on YouTube and find stuff and it all makes sense and is easy to pick up BECAUSE I understand the fundamentals and have the benefit of lots of practice at the fundamentals.

Keep strumming !

sgautier8th

Full Access

So far as near as I can tell I am the oldest here at 71. I have been practicing since April 13th. So far I made it through the 5 chords and the Key section. My chord switches are not that great and needs a lot more practice.

Are you doing the Fundamentals courses? I highly recomend them. Lisa's teaching progression, to show Power Chords and then work you into Barre Chords is spot on! Keep practicing both. Find a song that you LOVE that has just one change from open chords to a Bar Chord (Imagine was mine) and work on that song for as long as it takes to make it smooth, stopping when you get too frustrated, rest and then come back to it. Because you know and love the song, it will force you to get that transition down in rhythm (slow it way down until you get it and then slowly increase speed - use a metronome). If you love the song and you love music, you'll get it. After that, the next song will be a gazillion time easier (guaranteed).

So far as near as I can tell I am the oldest here at 71. I have been practicing since April 13th. So far I made it through the 5 chords and the Key section. My chord switches are not that great and needs a lot more practice.

Are you doing the Fundamentals courses? I highly recomend them. Lisa's teaching progression, to show Power Chords and then work you into Barre Chords is spot on! Keep practicing both. Find a song that you LOVE that has just one change from open chords to a Bar Chord (Imagine was mine) and work on that song for as long as it takes to make it smooth, stopping when you get too frustrated, rest and then come back to it. Because you know and love the song, it will force you to get that transition down in rhythm (slow it way down until you get it and then slowly increase speed - use a metronome). If you love the song and you love music, you'll get it. After that, the next song will be a gazillion time easier (guaranteed).

ccangia

Full Access

I made it through the Five Chord Power Pack and took Lisa's advice and did not worry to much about being perfect. Now I am up to the Keys and have begun the key of G. This is where I do not move on till I can play it with her almost perfectly. No one is perfect but I plan to get as close as I can. I am going to continue through the keys that way.

I made it through the Five Chord Power Pack and took Lisa's advice and did not worry to much about being perfect. Now I am up to the Keys and have begun the key of G. This is where I do not move on till I can play it with her almost perfectly. No one is perfect but I plan to get as close as I can. I am going to continue through the keys that way.

sgautier8th

Full Access

Been there and "done that", good strategy! IF, however, you become bored and frustrated and can't seem to get it down, I would encourage you to find a simple song or some scales tutorial or something else that you can work on to break up the monotony. We don't want any of our Old Folks Beginners to get bored or frustrated and quit. Keep it fun !!

Been there and "done that", good strategy! IF, however, you become bored and frustrated and can't seem to get it down, I would encourage you to find a simple song or some scales tutorial or something else that you can work on to break up the monotony. We don't want any of our Old Folks Beginners to get bored or frustrated and quit. Keep it fun !!

Ddancer

Full Access

Will be 71 this Oct. Come Nov will be 3 years I've practiced. When I say practice I average more than 3 hours a day. I have to admit, think I should be farther along than I am but then again I hear everyone is different. I just signed up to GT(trial period) and hoping it will have something to offer. I’ve been using Yousician most of the time which has been helpful getting chord down well and speed up. Unlike GT it doesn’t have the training video or as many songs yet. The problem I may have, is I like the 50s, 60s, and some 70’s but I don’t see a big selection in that time period (R. Nelson, Elvis, R Orbison Everly Brothers etc.), still there’s a lot, and I will continue checking out songs and the beginners lessons to see what can help me get to the next stage.

At this stage I’m able to use cowboy chords and sing along while playing. Have a fair handle on bar chords too. The songs I play are in their simplified 4 to 5 chord version. Naturally I want more and I’m hoping GT will be able to help get me there. One of the things I’m wondering about in the fundamental lessons is if you’re expected to memorize the scales for each chord. God I hope not, bottom line I do enjoy playing and have acquired more than a few guitars.

Will be 71 this Oct. Come Nov will be 3 years I've practiced. When I say practice I average more than 3 hours a day. I have to admit, think I should be farther along than I am but then again I hear everyone is different. I just signed up to GT(trial period) and hoping it will have something to offer. I’ve been using Yousician most of the time which has been helpful getting chord down well and speed up. Unlike GT it doesn’t have the training video or as many songs yet. The problem I may have, is I like the 50s, 60s, and some 70’s but I don’t see a big selection in that time period (R. Nelson, Elvis, R Orbison Everly Brothers etc.), still there’s a lot, and I will continue checking out songs and the beginners lessons to see what can help me get to the next stage.

At this stage I’m able to use cowboy chords and sing along while playing. Have a fair handle on bar chords too. The songs I play are in their simplified 4 to 5 chord version. Naturally I want more and I’m hoping GT will be able to help get me there. One of the things I’m wondering about in the fundamental lessons is if you’re expected to memorize the scales for each chord. God I hope not, bottom line I do enjoy playing and have acquired more than a few guitars.

William MG

Full Access

Hi Dancer

I find the community here positive and helpful. Hopefully you will find value in it and the lessons as well.

Good luck.

PS: Looks like you got a beautiful guitar in your hands!

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Honky Tonk Women - currently learning Guitar 1

Lesson here

Hi Dancer

I find the community here positive and helpful. Hopefully you will find value in it and the lessons as well.

Good luck.

PS: Looks like you got a beautiful guitar in your hands!

Repertoire:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Made Easy)

Link to the lesson here - very good for a beginner

Wild Horses (Made Easy)

Link to lesson here

Highway To Hell

Link to lesson here

Honky Tonk Women (Made Easy)

Lesson here - very easy for beginners

Honky Tonk Women - currently learning Guitar 1

Lesson here

Ddancer

Full Access

Hi William MG

That's good to hear I'm certainly hoping so. Guitar is my Epiphone Sheraton. However my favorite is the Fender Stratocaster acquired sometime after. GT has a lot of good reviews so I'm hoping that the shoe fits.

Have a great day!

Hi William MG

That's good to hear I'm certainly hoping so. Guitar is my Epiphone Sheraton. However my favorite is the Fender Stratocaster acquired sometime after. GT has a lot of good reviews so I'm hoping that the shoe fits.

Have a great day!

iiholly

hmm

I'm not old, but I wanted to drop a not of encouragement. I live in New Orleans and lots of bands play bars with older members -> I find it suprising! I also am often impressed by seeing geezers shred it out.

Rock on!

I'm not old, but I wanted to drop a not of encouragement. I live in New Orleans and lots of bands play bars with older members -> I find it suprising! I also am often impressed by seeing geezers shred it out.

Rock on!