Am i too old

Guitar Tricks Forum > Guitar Basics > Am i too old

john of MT

Full Access

This is my seventh post to this thread... sensitive much? Way back around post #53 I shared a link to a 14-year old that asks the same question.

Here's my philosophy... I drop it on family and friends alike and now you 'guys' can benefit from it too :

Aging is inevitable... even desirable considering the alternative. But "old" is a state of mind.

Don't let "old" get in your way of playing.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins

This is my seventh post to this thread... sensitive much? Way back around post #53 I shared a link to a 14-year old that asks the same question.

Here's my philosophy... I drop it on family and friends alike and now you 'guys' can benefit from it too :

Aging is inevitable... even desirable considering the alternative. But "old" is a state of mind.

Don't let "old" get in your way of playing.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins

vlazlow

Full Access

Just started with the GT course. I am working through GF1 and was stumbling around with the "Early Bird Gala" tonight (Thanks Lisa)! I will be 53 in December and am really digging learning a new skill

So, I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Now if I can only remember where I burried that bone...

Just started with the GT course. I am working through GF1 and was stumbling around with the "Early Bird Gala" tonight (Thanks Lisa)! I will be 53 in December and am really digging learning a new skill

So, I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Now if I can only remember where I burried that bone...

rcmor00

Full Access

Hi I'm 79 and started about 2 years ago. DVD's, teachers and on-line. I feel the same way but have not given up. I also try to put in about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours a day. Been on line for about 10 months with Lisa and love it. I hope to be able to play fingerstyle some day.

Hi I'm 79 and started about 2 years ago. DVD's, teachers and on-line. I feel the same way but have not given up. I also try to put in about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours a day. Been on line for about 10 months with Lisa and love it. I hope to be able to play fingerstyle some day.

OnTheRopes

I am 59 and just started again. I have had many tries at being a guitarist over the years, first as a nine year old, then in my twenties, thirties and forties.

Each time I have failed. So this is my last try at making it as a rock star ;)

Seriously though, I think the 'Am I too old' question really depends on if you intend to make it as a pro and depends on the genre you choose. I am really into the heavier side of rock and blues, the trouble is at a 'certain age' when you should be starting to play with a band and all the musicians are teenagers then it's just not going to work.

So this time I am just going to be a 'bedroom' player.

On a positive note I am finding GT's structured approach is working for me so far and I am up to speed where I last left the guitar behind and working on my rhythym playing.

I am 59 and just started again. I have had many tries at being a guitarist over the years, first as a nine year old, then in my twenties, thirties and forties.

Each time I have failed. So this is my last try at making it as a rock star ;)

Seriously though, I think the 'Am I too old' question really depends on if you intend to make it as a pro and depends on the genre you choose. I am really into the heavier side of rock and blues, the trouble is at a 'certain age' when you should be starting to play with a band and all the musicians are teenagers then it's just not going to work.

So this time I am just going to be a 'bedroom' player.

On a positive note I am finding GT's structured approach is working for me so far and I am up to speed where I last left the guitar behind and working on my rhythym playing.

bjornar.blindheim-1

Age is just a number!

Look at young Bob Wood here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAuLeSmcR8

Don't give yourself an excuse for not picking up or continue playing the guitar, or any other instrument for that mather :)

Age is just a number!

Look at young Bob Wood here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAuLeSmcR8

Don't give yourself an excuse for not picking up or continue playing the guitar, or any other instrument for that mather :)

LisaMcC

Guitar Tricks Instructor

The main point is that you enjoy it, love it.

Nobody is too old.

My father started to play ukulele at the age of 78, and now, four years later, he still plays every day and says the joy of making music has totally changed his life.

That's what it's really all about - the joy.

-Lisa McCormick, GT instructor

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!

The main point is that you enjoy it, love it.

Nobody is too old.

My father started to play ukulele at the age of 78, and now, four years later, he still plays every day and says the joy of making music has totally changed his life.

That's what it's really all about - the joy.

-Lisa McCormick, GT instructor

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!

valigator5

Full Access

My dad is 86 and has been taking private guitar lessons for about 6 months. He loves it!

My dad is 86 and has been taking private guitar lessons for about 6 months. He loves it!

bytetera

Full Access

I'm 53 (really). It depends. Of course we don't have much time ahaead of us like a 14 yo. Life expectancy is around 80. So knowing that to become a master you need 30 years of practice its not realistic. But If stick to it then in 2 to 3 years we can play and entertain our families maybe even try to play in a group with friends meaning all just for fun. I don't think we intend to become professional players at least I dont. But playing in a garage ( garage band yeah !) with friends would be great. Let's do this!

I'm 53 (really). It depends. Of course we don't have much time ahaead of us like a 14 yo. Life expectancy is around 80. So knowing that to become a master you need 30 years of practice its not realistic. But If stick to it then in 2 to 3 years we can play and entertain our families maybe even try to play in a group with friends meaning all just for fun. I don't think we intend to become professional players at least I dont. But playing in a garage ( garage band yeah !) with friends would be great. Let's do this!

Schmidtrock

Full Access

Originally Posted by: bytetera

I'm 54 here and totally agree with you! One of my favorite quotes by James Dean sums up my outlook. See my signature.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today ~James Dean

Originally Posted by: bytetera

I'm 54 here and totally agree with you! One of my favorite quotes by James Dean sums up my outlook. See my signature.

Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today ~James Dean

Simon Keyes

Full Access

i'm gonna be 50 in a months time ; that's a big psychological blow :)

i've also been learning the guitar from never held one to GF2 over the last 7 months ; love it.

am i too old ; nope and my goal is to get on a stage at some point and really light the place up with my playing.

if i don't make the goal, i'll have fun trying.

i'm gonna be 50 in a months time ; that's a big psychological blow :)

i've also been learning the guitar from never held one to GF2 over the last 7 months ; love it.

am i too old ; nope and my goal is to get on a stage at some point and really light the place up with my playing.

if i don't make the goal, i'll have fun trying.