Help! I need new music!

Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/25/2022 1:37 am

Ok folks. I need help.

I understand that rock these days has changed. My ear and heart are still begging for the sounds of my youth - '70-'80s era but my brain is craving what's current and new.

I feel moss growing on my aged rump. A stone no longer rolling...

Who should I be listening to today? 2022?

# 1
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
04/25/2022 5:41 pm

Absolutely nowt worth listening to..... (for anyone not a Brit, "nowt" is slang for nothing)

Or have a read of this. Who knows, you might find something you'd enjoy.

https://www.kerrang.com/the-sound-of-2022-the-new-artists-reshaping-rock-music

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/25/2022 6:14 pm

Thanks Draco- I'll take a look at the link.

While "classic rock" is becoming a niche there is some new stuff happening. Great Van Fleet isn't totally new, but recent and some of it is not too bad. A US group named Dirty Honey has a good sound. We'll see where they go.

Anyway. Hope springs eternal. Rock isn't dead yet.

# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
05/01/2022 3:50 am

Draco - just checked out that link. Thanks for the lead because I've never heard of any of them. Definitely not a path I would have found for myself. Interesting. I'll let you know how it goes. Any personal suggestions from the list?

# 4
DraconusJLM
DraconusJLM
05/01/2022 9:32 am

*edit After further listening, I can't recommend any on the list.... Pretty much all seemed of limited interest: two or three songs, then I'd lost interest. Some reasonably good guitar riffs here and there, though.

I can't honestly say there's anything "new" about any of the groups mentioned, but is "new" even possible???

The Kerrang website is always worth visiting for a read.

I wish this forum had a "block user" feature. Possibly I'm not the only one......

# 5
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
05/01/2022 10:49 pm

Jeff Beck never gets old, he just gets a lot better.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 6
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
05/09/2022 10:31 pm

Amen to that SnoJo.

# 7
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
06/02/2022 10:22 pm

Still looking but I've found some good stuff:

1. Dirty Honey: "Rolling 7's". https://youtu.be/42rmUlDiQDI

and "When I'm gone". https://youtu.be/I8ygfX0BavM

I think they're based in California. Good stuff.

2. Crobot: "Better Times". https://youtu.be/kutQNy8dLBQ

And "Under a Pale Horse". https://youtu.be/xYfaWDXikYY

I believe these guys are from somewhere in Pennsylvania. They just opened a show for another band here in Memphis and brought the f&$king house down.

I'm sure there's more. I'll keep looking. I love my old stuff but I crave the new.

# 8
matonanjin2
matonanjin2
06/19/2022 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

Jeff Beck never gets old, he just gets a lot better.

[/quote]

Truth

[quote=Rumble Walrus]

Ok folks. I need help.

I understand that rock these days has changed. My ear and heart are still begging for the sounds of my youth - '70-'80s era but my brain is craving what's current and new.

I feel moss growing on my aged rump. A stone no longer rolling...

Who should I be listening to today? 2022?

Hmmm. Should you be lisening to your brain? Don't you think you should be listening to your (ear and) heart?

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45

# 9
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
07/01/2022 9:26 pm

Absolutely a valid question matonanjin2.

While I like almost anything (almost :P), I'm just not loving much of what I hear coming through the major commercial channels so I'm on a hunt to see if rock, as I know it, is dying.

Gotta use the brain to search because my heart and ears are no better at searching than my crotch has historically proven to be.

Cool thing is - and I live in Memphis, TN - the music (new stuff) I'm hearing around town is pretty damn good. Listen to the kids jamming and you'll hear solid stuff. The music business doesn't hear much of it yet but if you listen it's there.

I'm still looking.

Thanks for the reminder.

# 10
snojones
Full Access
snojones
Full Access
07/02/2022 3:03 pm

Live music is always better than canned. But now that Clear Channel controls what the radio will allow, that is absoulutly the case. Radio used to support musicians, now it supports the status quo and making money with the least posible investment. A paultry subsitute in my estimation.

If you think back to that "music of your youth", you will find that it was unruly and likely to criticize political BS. "For What It's Worth", "4 Dead in Ohio", "Fortnate Son", "Lives in the ballance", "If I Had a Rocket Launcher", and many more songs became anthums for Liberal Thinking. That does not sit well with the rich and powerful. So they reorganized radio to better suit their interests. Consiquently, music today is more machine based than Human Based. More "How much is that doggie in the window" than "Wooden Ships".

Clear Channel is a large part of why that is the case.

Captcha is a total pain in the........

# 11
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/20/2022 6:05 am

Sorry for the late response Sno.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth is what you say.

It's certainly the case here in my hometown of Memphis.  At one time the mainstream stations in my hometown of Memphis (WHBQ, WLOK, and others) were primary supporters of local musicians and launched the careers of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Issac Hayes, BB King, and more than I have time or space to list.  When big media companies hit town, they bought out all local ownership.  This contributed quite a bit to clubs dropping live acts and a shift to a DJ driven format.  That led to the decline of available gigs for bands like mine and musicians of all styles.

You are absolutely right on the philosophical thing too.  If I start talking about that, well, I'll never stop.

I'll tell you though, there is a renaissance and Memphis music is back on the rise.  Homegrown Rap and Hip Hop (not exactly politically correct stuff, that ;) ) led the way and the club scene is surging back to life with a surprising vigor and variety.  Local mucisicans/acts of all types are playing clubs large and small.  Ardent Sudios is still "the destination" (as it was for ZZ Top, Led Zeppllin, The Stones, and more)  to record for many of the greatest artists in the world.  Stax has risen from the ashes as an academy teaching kids how to make great music and you can still record at Sun Studios with an engineer who's father ran the board back in the glory days.  Independent producers are doing great things.  You don't have to look too far in the industry to see Boo Mitchell's influence and Memphis studio musicians are the secret sauce in more big recordings than you can count.

It's pretty damn awesome that an old, chubby guy like me can sit in the back digging it all - and still feel welcome.

# 12
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/20/2022 6:16 am

Still searching for new music but, since I'm going through Ander's Blues Course (just finished Level 2 and about to do it all again) I've diverted to a focus on the Blues.

Albums

Something old:  Albert King - Born Under a Bad sign (a classic).  Wow

Something new:  Anthony Gomes - Peace, Love, and Loud Guitars (Candian dude) Amazing new stuff

Something borrowed:  Albert King and Steve Ray Vaughn - In session (Live) Amazing

Something blue:  Chris Simmons - Old News to Me (Alabama guy.  Played with Leon Russell) Not the English Chris Simmons.  Not very well known but awesome original stuff

I'm following Ander's advice and trying to use the stuff I've learned in his course to play along with these 4 albums.

All highly recommended.

Rumble

# 13
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/20/2022 12:17 pm

I'm not sure what music service you listen to, but I think they all "mixes" of various stuff.

When I am working out I will sometimes hit a mix and from that mix may come a band I need to hear more of, like Chevelle for instance. If not, no biggie, it's background music to my work out.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 14
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
11/21/2022 3:35 am
#14 Originally Posted by: William MG

I'm not sure what music service you listen to, but I think they all "mixes" of various stuff.

When I am working out I will sometimes hit a mix and from that mix may come a band I need to hear more of, like Chevelle for instance. If not, no biggie, it's background music to my work out.

I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up!

# 15
tod.gentille
Full Access
tod.gentille
Full Access
02/23/2023 11:53 pm

Whenever I think there's not a lot of new creativity I go check out whatever Snarky Puppy is doing. The first song of theirs I ever heard was "Loose Screws". 

# 16
Oliver_ZA
Oliver_ZA
02/24/2023 11:29 am

This is an old-ish thread, but if you want something different, try "Khruangbin" - check them out on Youtube. They do some very nice collab stuff with Leon Bridges, and they sound really great on live recordings.

John Mayer's latest album "Sob Rock" might also be nice for a modern throw-back to the 80s.

Another group I really like are the "Haim" sisters - very Fleetwood Mac kind of feel - and nice guitar work too.

And - don't shoot me - but Harry Style's solo stuff is actually really great. His self-title album from a few years ago really has a modern Beatles vibe to it to my ears.

Oh yes...last one. Ryan Adams (not Bryan) did a full album cover of Taylor Swifts album "1989" - it's an absolute triumph.

# 17
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/24/2023 11:43 pm

Thanks to all - I'm still watching this thread to pick up new music.

tod and Oliver - awesome and thanks for my next new listening.

'Please keep those suggestions coming!

Rumble

# 18
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/24/2023 11:44 pm
#16 Originally Posted by: tod.gentille

Whenever I think there's not a lot of new creativity I go check out whatever Snarky Puppy is doing. The first song of theirs I ever heard was "Loose Screws". 

How could you not like a group called "Snarky Puppy"???

# 19
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
02/24/2023 11:47 pm
#17 Originally Posted by: Oliver_ZA

This is an old-ish thread, but if you want something different, try "Khruangbin" - check them out on Youtube. They do some very nice collab stuff with Leon Bridges, and they sound really great on live recordings.

John Mayer's latest album "Sob Rock" might also be nice for a modern throw-back to the 80s.

Another group I really like are the "Haim" sisters - very Fleetwood Mac kind of feel - and nice guitar work too.

And - don't shoot me - but Harry Style's solo stuff is actually really great. His self-title album from a few years ago really has a modern Beatles vibe to it to my ears.

Oh yes...last one. Ryan Adams (not Bryan) did a full album cover of Taylor Swifts album "1989" - it's an absolute triumph.

I've had a blind eye to Harry Styles - I'll have to take a look.

Big fan of John Meyer (he's sooo 'effin brilliant!) and I agree about the Ryan Adam's remake.

Rumble

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.