What are your all time rock concert highlight?

Guitar Tricks Forum > Famous Bands and Artists > What are your all time rock concert highlight?

jvan9650

Cool topic! I have seen quite a few shows over the years and these three stand above the rest.

1. The Allman Brothers Band - 1992. I saw them at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles on their Shades of Two Worlds tour. This was the best concert that I have ever seen. Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes were simply awesome to see and hear and the band was arguably at their post-reunion peak. The highlight of the show was the song Blue Sky.

2. Yes - 1992. I saw this show at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa. This was the Union tour so all the best were there including Steve Howe, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman. Their verson of Heart of the Sunrise was without a doubt the single best song I've heard in concert. When the song was over even the band was jazzed as they knew they had nailed it.

3. King Crimson - 1995 (I think). I saw King Crimson at the House of Blues in Hollywood on their THRAK tour. It was a great concert and there certainly were some interesting guitar moments from Robert Fripp.

Honorable mention goes to the two Pink Floyd shows that I saw. Their comeback in 1988 had the most impact on me because I never thought I'd ever see them live. The Division Bell tour was a better show, though.

Cool topic! I have seen quite a few shows over the years and these three stand above the rest.

1. The Allman Brothers Band - 1992. I saw them at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles on their Shades of Two Worlds tour. This was the best concert that I have ever seen. Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes were simply awesome to see and hear and the band was arguably at their post-reunion peak. The highlight of the show was the song Blue Sky.

2. Yes - 1992. I saw this show at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa. This was the Union tour so all the best were there including Steve Howe, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman. Their verson of Heart of the Sunrise was without a doubt the single best song I've heard in concert. When the song was over even the band was jazzed as they knew they had nailed it.

3. King Crimson - 1995 (I think). I saw King Crimson at the House of Blues in Hollywood on their THRAK tour. It was a great concert and there certainly were some interesting guitar moments from Robert Fripp.

Honorable mention goes to the two Pink Floyd shows that I saw. Their comeback in 1988 had the most impact on me because I never thought I'd ever see them live. The Division Bell tour was a better show, though.

fingolfen

Full Access

Originally Posted by: jvan9650

I saw that same tour when they were in Cleveland at Nautica... really great show!

There were a lot of really amazing shows I remember, but a few stick out...

July 21, 2015 - Rush R40 show in Portland. My wife and I are huge Rush fans (her even moreso than me). We'd missed Clockwork Angels because I had a work obligation, and I was really happy to get another chance to see them. I made sure we got great seats because a voice in the back of my head said it would be our last chance to see them live...

1993-ish? Violent Femmes in Columbus, OH. First time seeing them live, I figured they'd be fun, I didn't know they'd be amazing. I saw them again several years later, but the energy was just completely gone.

Originally Posted by: jvan9650

I saw that same tour when they were in Cleveland at Nautica... really great show!

There were a lot of really amazing shows I remember, but a few stick out...

July 21, 2015 - Rush R40 show in Portland. My wife and I are huge Rush fans (her even moreso than me). We'd missed Clockwork Angels because I had a work obligation, and I was really happy to get another chance to see them. I made sure we got great seats because a voice in the back of my head said it would be our last chance to see them live...

1993-ish? Violent Femmes in Columbus, OH. First time seeing them live, I figured they'd be fun, I didn't know they'd be amazing. I saw them again several years later, but the energy was just completely gone.

jarnac.chambers

Full Access

Stevie Ray at Auckland town hall supported by fabulous thunderbird. Amazing and Jimmy and Stevie did a beautiful duet sharing a double neck. Texas flood live was hard to beat.

Radio Birdman kings arms. Doubt many have heard of them but Denis tek at his best.

And......iggy and the stooges. Anywhere, anytime.

Stevie Ray at Auckland town hall supported by fabulous thunderbird. Amazing and Jimmy and Stevie did a beautiful duet sharing a double neck. Texas flood live was hard to beat.

Radio Birdman kings arms. Doubt many have heard of them but Denis tek at his best.

jarnac.chambers

Full Access

And gotta agree with Manx. I was lucky enough to see them at western springs and they have harmonies like no other. Robin had an incredibly unique voice. Rip boys.

And gotta agree with Manx. I was lucky enough to see them at western springs and they have harmonies like no other. Robin had an incredibly unique voice. Rip boys.

faith83

Full Access

Billy Joel, 1991, Portland Oregon. Backstage after the show, I was talking with Billy and a fan mistook me for Christie Brinkley and asked me for an autograph. I turned to Billy and he winked and said, go for it.

Someone out there has a Christie Brinkley autograph that's not really a Christie Brinkley autograph....

Not a "concert highlight," but it always makes me smile to think that for 30 seconds, I was married to Billy Joel.

"You can get what you want or you can just get old." Billy Joel

Billy Joel, 1991, Portland Oregon. Backstage after the show, I was talking with Billy and a fan mistook me for Christie Brinkley and asked me for an autograph. I turned to Billy and he winked and said, go for it.

Someone out there has a Christie Brinkley autograph that's not really a Christie Brinkley autograph....

Not a "concert highlight," but it always makes me smile to think that for 30 seconds, I was married to Billy Joel.

moosehockey18

Full Access

So many shows............ Hard to pick favorites but these are 4 that stick out in my mind.

1) Bruce Springsteen 1984. Saw him at the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh where I grew up. He and his band played for 4 hours. Came out for several encores; the last one was Santa Clause is Coming to Town. The concert was in September !

2) John Denver early 1970`s. My first concert ! I came to identify with his music probably more than any other artist and He`s at least partially responsible for the fact that I live in the mountains today. My wife and I saw him 3 more times in the 80`s and 90`s.

3) America, 2013 at the Community Music Center in Wolfeboro NH. My wife and I saw them a few times during their heyday in the 70`s, but this concert cost 30 bucks a ticket and the facility held maybe 2000 people, so the show was a wonderfully intimate experience. They sounded great and played all their hits. It was like being in the 70`s again, except this time our grown daughters were with us !

4) Trans Siberian Orchestra ( multiple years ) It`s a Holiday concert but their production and stage show are second to none. Spellbinding !

So many shows............ Hard to pick favorites but these are 4 that stick out in my mind.

1) Bruce Springsteen 1984. Saw him at the old Civic Arena in Pittsburgh where I grew up. He and his band played for 4 hours. Came out for several encores; the last one was Santa Clause is Coming to Town. The concert was in September !

2) John Denver early 1970`s. My first concert ! I came to identify with his music probably more than any other artist and He`s at least partially responsible for the fact that I live in the mountains today. My wife and I saw him 3 more times in the 80`s and 90`s.

3) America, 2013 at the Community Music Center in Wolfeboro NH. My wife and I saw them a few times during their heyday in the 70`s, but this concert cost 30 bucks a ticket and the facility held maybe 2000 people, so the show was a wonderfully intimate experience. They sounded great and played all their hits. It was like being in the 70`s again, except this time our grown daughters were with us !

4) Trans Siberian Orchestra ( multiple years ) It`s a Holiday concert but their production and stage show are second to none. Spellbinding !

faith83

Full Access

Nice to meet another JD fan, moosehockey! He and Billy are my #1s. Saw Billy many times and never John -- I regret to say I was an idiot and wasn't paying attention -- a huge regret and my biggest musical mistake.

Nice to meet another JD fan, moosehockey! He and Billy are my #1s. Saw Billy many times and never John -- I regret to say I was an idiot and wasn't paying attention -- a huge regret and my biggest musical mistake.

moosehockey18

Full Access

Hi Faith ! Yes, I have a few regrets too. Had a chance to see Pink Floyd in 1994 and passed it up. ( Ugh!!) Guess I can always see their tribute band ( Brit Floyd). Had tickets to see Led Zepplin in 1980 but John Bonham died and the tour was called off. Have seen Billy Joel 3 times; always a top notch show. BJ played at my college the year before I started there; would`ve loved to see that !

Hi Faith ! Yes, I have a few regrets too. Had a chance to see Pink Floyd in 1994 and passed it up. ( Ugh!!) Guess I can always see their tribute band ( Brit Floyd). Had tickets to see Led Zepplin in 1980 but John Bonham died and the tour was called off. Have seen Billy Joel 3 times; always a top notch show. BJ played at my college the year before I started there; would`ve loved to see that !

DavesGuitarJourney

Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambers

Pretty sure I saw SRV on the same tour with the TBirds. Jimmie and Stevie did the double neck thing and it was really cool, they obviously enjoyed it. TBirds and SRV were both riding a growing wave of popularity then. As time went by and I became more familiar with Jimmie Vaughan I really gained a lot of respect for him. The cat can play, he is a real blues man.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

Originally Posted by: jarnac.chambers

Pretty sure I saw SRV on the same tour with the TBirds. Jimmie and Stevie did the double neck thing and it was really cool, they obviously enjoyed it. TBirds and SRV were both riding a growing wave of popularity then. As time went by and I became more familiar with Jimmie Vaughan I really gained a lot of respect for him. The cat can play, he is a real blues man.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.

DavesGuitarJourney

Originally Posted by: faith83

Great story, Faith! Being mistaken for Christie Brinkley at that time is a pretty high compliment!

Originally Posted by: faith83

Great story, Faith! Being mistaken for Christie Brinkley at that time is a pretty high compliment!